How To Tell The Difference Of A Cae And Otocinclus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tcamos said:
I am not so sure it's not an SAE instead of CAE. You may have said it because it was early but I think you are right. Compare.

I did initially think this mate but the spinal/back marking from the pic are consistent with a CAE.

More pics will confirm but i'm 90% sure CAE

We'll both be wrong and it will be an otto. ;)

tcamos said:
We'll both be wrong and it will be an otto.
wink.png
Im hoping
noexpression.gif

TallTree01 said:
Is the shark going into a bigger tank? Hope so.
Yeah im going to change my ten into a 20 or maybe even get a bigger tank but i dont know when. I actually wanted to sell him but idk where to start.

Heres two more pictures, after comparing with pictures of otocinclus i agree its not an otto but its something else, anyone know for sure what it is so i can figure out what im going to do with this guy?
4KBZ931.jpg

Heres a tail picture and its easily noticably different than an ottos tail.
hEDal06.jpg

There are two possibilites left, a SAE, CAE or flying fox. Tcamos has posted good reference about the differences. There's good online sources explaining the difference between the two. Have a look and you'll figure it out.

Here is a good explanation:

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

After reading the website and seeing the spots at the tail it looks like you have a Chinese algae eater(CAE)

tcamos said:

We'll both be wrong and it will be an otto.
wink.png
Im hoping
noexpression.gif
 No, it isn't an otto.

I know, I was just being factious.

I know that. I just mentioned it so we get back to the point as the OP wasn't sure what it is at that time :)

I think he has a CAE.

I agree with most of the pp, CAE. Plus the fact that these tend to be more readily avaliable in just about every store.  With it actually being the most widely offered "algae eater" besides the common pleco.  At least here in the US.

We're lucky, the most common algae eater in Australia are bristlensoes. L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back