How to Take mineral out of fish tank to soften water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I would buy an ro unit instead of buying ro water from fish shop. Will work out cheaper in the long run, and less pain lugging barrels around. Mine was about £100
Did you get that online? Been thinking about it

Theyre apparently not a cheaper option if you're on a water meter

Saw a link on here to these guys https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/
Can't verify the quality because I have my own unit. But if you have one nearby its a lot cheaper than the LFS route - at least much cheaper than mine.
Ahhh @seangee i feel like the only time we speak is when I thank you for helping me. You're a legend sir, thank you!

Theyre apparently not a cheaper option if you're on a water meter
I'll have to have a look into that, pretty sure I'm on that quarterly prepaid stuff. I should really know for certain actually

I'll have to have a look into that, pretty sure I'm on that quarterly prepaid stuff. I should really know for certain actually
And then i guess its also a case of you get what you pay for.. 4:1 ratio is good, 2:1 is better.. but i reckon cheapo ones could be 20:1 or worse
(waste water:RO water)

Apparently the so called direct flow systems are a lot less wasteful and produce water much faster. https://www.directwaterfilters.co.uk/400-gpd-direct-flow-reverse-osmosis-pumped-system-lcd.html

I am considering one as the price has come down a lot recently. Essentially the waste water is filtered again through a second membrane. I tried a homemade version and it does indeed work with no loss of quality and double the throughput. I abandoned it because the two filters I linked had incompatable control systems (one electronic on the inlet vs one mechanical on the outlet) which meant I could not turn it off automatically. Probably could have bought more stuff and made it work but buying all the correctly matched bits as a unit is the easy option. ;)

I use bogwood

I agree with Byron.
What is your tap water GH, KH, pH?

The easiest solution is to keep hard water fish if your tap water is hard.
To keep mixing your tap water with RO water and checking/monitoring the water chemistry is a lot of hassle.

Also, 55 liter tank is too small for Angel fish unless you meant 55 gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back