How To Take Good Pictures Of A Fish Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

goldfish98

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering how you guys get perfect pictures of your fish. My camera can't focus on the tanks, and the fish look too dark. 

I don't have the best camera, but I found closing the curtains/waiting till night and then taking a shot with the light on works pretty well.  That way there's no glare and it's well lit (and you won't need a flash).  Hope this helps! :D 

My friend took a few pics of the fish I had, Back in the day :p

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

I try to have no other lights in the room, having very clean glass, and then just wait until they stop moving haha

Just line the shot up, and get 'em to say "Cheese"! ;)

Its gotta move at some point, i mean look at this 

These are the best shots i can get of him, and he moves a lot lol

This guys impossible to get photos of lol

Wow. Now I have a craving for a 100 gallon tank... and a bigger house.

make a video of your fish, have it in focus when doing it. then upload the video to computer, pause at point of where you think it is the best of the fish then take a screen shot. boom got it. you might not have the colour that you want if adjusting the settings and taking a pic but its easier then guessing lol.

Or stand the camera on a tripod, tell it to shoot every few seconds and then switch the card when it's done. Delete almost all of them and keep the few good ones.

I choose one fish and just focus on that one, follow it around the tank until it settles or stops moving, then take the pic!

goldfish98 said:
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering how you guys get perfect pictures of your fish. My camera can't focus on the tanks, and the fish look too dark. 
You'll likely need to use manual focus, as the contrast and phase detect autofocus system will likely be fooled by the glass and focus short of the fish. If the fish are too dark, then you need more exposure. You have to either decrease shutter speeds, which will lead to movement blur, increase your ISO, which can cause grainy images or open your lens as wide as it will go. Also, you will need a solid tripod as well for most of your shots to keep them sharp.

The best bet is to use a flash, as this will give you plenty if light plus nice and fast shutter speeds. However, you will have to set up the flash to prevent reflections off the aquarium itself. This is usually done with remotely triggered flash.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back