How to take care of Baby Gecko

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi there, as someone who has never kept any reptiles ever, aside from the occasional wild catch and release snakes, I need to know how to keep a baby gecko. The neighbour just texted my mom telling her that her daughter just got a baby gecko, and because they are leaving for the weekend, they want us to take care of it. Now, if you look through my past posts(you don't have to), you'll notice that the very same neighbour once had a betta that I believe is probably dead by now. Now that she has a much more expensive pet that frankly I have no idea how to take care of, I would like somebody to please educate me on this subject. The basics I know are:

heat lamp
food(duh)
water(also duh)
climbing things?
Reasonable terrarium size

Please tell me more info as in this subject I am a complete newbie. The only thing I'm not afraid of is feeding, as my brother knows how to handle and feed crickets(pet spiders eat them), so that's my only non-worry

Thanks in advance!

This neighbour also has two pugs. She also had two cats, one of them went missing and the other died in a fight with a racoon. The missing one wasn't street smart, and was an outdoor cat. She ended up running away and probably died to racoons. The other one was a totally outdoor cat, and I can't imagine him being cooped up inside for longer than a week. This one had death battles with racoons and would come home with battle wounds, and when the neighbours found him they took him immediately to the vet, who by now knew him very well(he roamed the neighbourhood and didn't have a collar(he was chipped though), and all the people who he came to thought he was a stray until he was brought to the vet). He was the coolest cat, and is exactly the reason why our new cat is an indoor cat.

EDIT: the two pugs are still alive and well.

why the heck do you need to buy a whole new enclosure for a gecko that you'll only be seeing for a weekend

why the heck do you need to buy a whole new enclosure for a gecko that you'll only be seeing for a weekend
Oh I don't, but I want to make sure that they do if they don't have one already.

Geckos are nocturnal and don't normally need a heat lamp or a UV lamp.
Give them an aquarium or plastic cage with sand on the bottom. Have a water tray and some cardboard rolls in there for them to hide in. Feed them a variety of small insects.

As for cats, they should all be indoor cats and never allowed outside except in a cat enclosure. It stops them killing wildlife and getting into fights.

From what I’m hearing, this neighbor needs a wake up call. Idk what would work/what you could do though, except maybe calling the non emergency police number. That seems rather extreme though but 🤷‍♀️

From what I’m hearing, this neighbor needs a wake up call. Idk what would work/what you could do though, except maybe calling the non emergency police number. That seems rather extreme though but 🤷‍♀️
I don't think it's the mom. All she likes is dogs, and the dogs are fine. However, the kid(11-12 I believe) likes all these cool things, and convinces the mom. Then when kid gets bored, my family basically takes over.

They need reporting to animal services if they are that neglectful

The care depends entirely on the species, just like fish they generally have different requirement. Some benefit from UV for example

The people you mention in your posts sound like borderline animal abusers, maybe they've received poor advice but either way, let's hope they aren't planning on getting more animals any time soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back