how to sterilize 20 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi again
my fantail goldfish died yesterday. it had a fleshy protuberance.
my question is should i move my 7 amano shrimp into the 20 gallon tank or move my new 3 female guppies into the 20 gallon after it's been sterilized? my shrimp are in a 10 gallon tank. the 3 female guppies are in a 5 gallon. i had to use the small nano tank right away after a guppy was in with a goldfish and got eaten.
to refresh and be boring to you, when i had taken down my guppy tank and given them to petco, i came home to 5 fry i had missed. i let them grow to what i thought was a size too big for goldfish to eat. i didn't want another big guppy tank.
i was wrong :((
back to the question- how to sterilize the tank my goldfish is had died in? thank you.

I use food grade 6% hydrogen peroxide in water and let things soak in it overnight. The hydrogen peroxide produces bubbles (I think oxygen?) and gets into crevices. I wish I could be more specific about quantities and suchlike - maybe someone will come along and help here! There's lots of different brands but I use this one:

I used to use it to clean all the tubing for my 245L gallon tank and I regularly use it to disinfect my cleaning utensils as well.

I'd give everything a good rinse afterwards, although one of the benefits of hydrogen peroxide is that (if I remember rightly - please do your research!) it breaks down into oxygen and water over a 24 hour period.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
honestly...i just put the thing in the bathtub --------> when maria isn't home <--------
then go into the cleaning cabinet...and use whatever products she keeps in there...usually the stronger it smells...it's gotta have some potent stuff in it xD
then i put the tank sideways and use the showerhead to wash it off then turn it again...and this time I just leave the showerhead inside and let warm water run for around 20-30mins
but my go to products have to be bleach and vinegar...it stinks like hell...make sure to have the washroom fan going because of the strong smell
and no matter how you clean it...make sure you leave no evidence you ever had a fish tank in the bathtub or you're in for a duet of words later the same day ^^

honestly...i just put the thing in the bathtub --------> when maria isn't home <--------
then go into the cleaning cabinet...and use whatever products she keeps in there...usually the stronger it smells...it's gotta have some potent stuff in it xD
then i put the tank sideways and use the showerhead to wash it off then turn it again...and this time I just leave the showerhead inside and let warm water run for around 20-30mins
but my go to products have to be bleach and vinegar...it stinks like hell...make sure to have the washroom fan going because of the strong smell
and no matter how you clean it...make sure you leave no evidence you ever had a fish tank in the bathtub or you're in for a duet of words later the same day ^^
Uh, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mix bleach and vinegar. It makes a nasty chemical gas called chlorine gas.

hi again
my fantail goldfish died yesterday. it had a fleshy protuberance.
my question is should i move my 7 amano shrimp into the 20 gallon tank or move my new 3 female guppies into the 20 gallon after it's been sterilized? my shrimp are in a 10 gallon tank. the 3 female guppies are in a 5 gallon. i had to use the small nano tank right away after a guppy was in with a goldfish and got eaten.
to refresh and be boring to you, when i had taken down my guppy tank and given them to petco, i came home to 5 fry i had missed. i let them grow to what i thought was a size too big for goldfish to eat. i didn't want another big guppy tank.
i was wrong :((
back to the question- how to sterilize the tank my goldfish is had died in? thank you.
Hello finfayce. Keep things simple. Two tablespoons of standard aquarium salt dissolved into one gallon of warm tap water. Use a new sponge and just saturate the sponge in the salt water and thoroughly scrub the tank inside and out. Pretty easy.

10 Tank (Now 11)

I use food grade 6% hydrogen peroxide in water and let things soak in it overnight. The hydrogen peroxide produces bubbles (I think oxygen?) and gets into crevices. I wish I could be more specific about quantities and suchlike - maybe someone will come along and help here! There's lots of different brands but I use this one:

I used to use it to clean all the tubing for my 245L gallon tank and I regularly use it to disinfect my cleaning utensils as well.

I'd give everything a good rinse afterwards, although one of the benefits of hydrogen peroxide is that (if I remember rightly - please do your research!) it breaks down into oxygen and water over a 24 hour period.
thanjs

Uh, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mix bleach and vinegar. It makes a nasty chemical gas called chlorine gas.
absolutely- you are lucky to still be able to text🤣 hydrogen and peroxide is a natural disinfectant.

living in the only country that hasn't adopted the metric system- is 245 liters equal to 64 gallons?
what is the percentage of hydrogen peroxide to water please?

Hello finfayce. Keep things simple. Two tablespoons of standard aquarium salt dissolved into one gallon of warm tap water. Use a new sponge and just saturate the sponge in the salt water and thoroughly scrub the tank inside and out. Pretty easy.

10 Tank (Now 11)
thanks. will that harm the internal freshwater filter?

thanks. will that harm the internal freshwater filter?
Hello again. I just took a few paper towels and wiped everything dry. There won't be enough salt left to affect anything mechanical or living.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello again. I just took a few paper towels and wiped everything dry. There won't be enough salt left to affect anything mechanical or living.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
thank you. :)

thanjs

absolutely- you are lucky to still be able to text🤣 hydrogen and peroxide is a natural disinfectant.
i meant vinegar and hydrogen peroxide- saw on a TV documentary

No need to be so "sterile." Clean the tank, water only, let dry.

thank you- I'm taking the tank down for awhile. I have 2 other aquariums and quite a few birds to keep me busy.
Plus I'm leery of more fish dying- I must have done something wrong. 😕

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back