How to soften water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi, I'm on a well water system, which gives me a very high PH (7.8) my fish require of a PH of at least 6.5- and the overall hardness reads at 140. I've managed to get the ph down to 7.3 and just lower the hardness slightly by using oak leaves. And though my fish seem to live fine in it, my Pygmy cories flash often due to the water quality. I cannot afford a RO system at the moment. But I've heard good things about peat moss. Any suggestions?

I have read that some fish stores offer free RO water. You might look into that. Other option is to buy RO or distilled water from a store. But the ongoing purchase cost would over time exceed the coat of a RO system. A basic under sink RO system would cost about $130.

A third option I have not tried is to purchase a refillable DI filter and attach that to a pump. Put enough water in a bucket for a water chang and then put the pub and DI filter in it and turn on the pump. This The DI filter would gradually reduce the harness of the water. You can get refillable DI cartridges for about $25. A 5lb bag of replacement absorbent would cost about $50. Still not cheep but it would work. Although I don't know how long the absorbent would last

You might also use rain water provided it is clean.

I purchased a water softener pillow to see where that takes me. Is it normal Cory behavior for them to go up for air once every three minutes? I know they breathe air but it seems rather excessive

Interesting! Didn't even know that such a thing exists.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back