How to ship in the US - Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Absolutely! Often the sellers donā€™t offer options. I have bought 5 guppies, 1 betta, plants, & snails. All did well except a few plants that came wrapped in wet paper towels inside a plastic bag. Threw some away. Did find a good plant seller in Montana who has a $7 shipping upgrade. Heā€™s the only guy who had it, but likely others might be amenable

Wow - that whole post was helpful!

When it comes to getting a shipping estimate, how do I do that? for example - USPS has a priority mail box which is 2-3 day delivery, but I have been unable to find what it would cost to mail one of those overnight.

I would expect that most boxes would be under 2lbs - how do I estimate shipping based on zip code?
You may want to get a small digital scale and weigh the package and call who ever you are going to ship with and ask them. most packages are between 5 to 8 pounds with water. I normally just figure about what the shipping will cost from experience and add the amount to how much I want for the product and advertise FREE SHIPPING! because otherwise I get asked over and over "How much do I pay for shipping?"

Absolutely! Often the sellers donā€™t offer options. I have bought 5 guppies, 1 betta, plants, & snails. All did well except a few plants that came wrapped in wet paper towels inside a plastic bag. Threw some away. Did find a good plant seller in Montana who has a $7 shipping upgrade. Heā€™s the only guy who had it, but likely others might be amenable
I just got long stem Brazilian Pennywort from Buce Plants, They shipped them in a plastic tube and put news paper around the outside of the tube to fill the space in the box. trouble is they shipped USPS it took 10 days and the plants were already melting. I ship everything in insulated shippers for heat and cold and yes I do wrap plants in wet paper towels and put them in a lose fit plastic bag.

You may want to get a small digital scale and weigh the package and call who ever you are going to ship with and ask them. most packages are between 5 to 8 pounds with water. I normally just figure about what the shipping will cost from experience and add the amount to how much I want for the product and advertise FREE SHIPPING! because otherwise I get asked over and over "How much do I pay for shipping?"
I do have a small digital scale. My post office never answers the phone & I have found their online calculator problematic, but maybe thatā€™s just me.

I just got long stem Brazilian Pennywort from Buce Plants, They shipped them in a plastic tube and put news paper around the outside of the tube to fill the space in the box. trouble is they shipped USPS it took 10 days and the plants were already melting. I ship everything in insulated shippers for heat and cold and yes I do wrap plants in wet paper towels and put them in a lose fit plastic bag.
Yes, last shipment took forever. Paid guy for upgrade this time. Should be 2-3 days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back