FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

onefieshcedrick

Reaction score
I am looking into acquiring a 10 gallon tank for a veiltail male betta but have never worked with a fish tank before. Does anyone have a basic set of steps and things I need to set up the tank for my fish?

API test kit
Decloranator
The tank and hood(so betta dosnt jump)
Filter(I recommend sponge filter)
100watt Heater
Substrate
Decorations and plants(fake or live I recommend live)
And read up on cycling the tank

API test kit
Decloranator
The tank and hood(so betta dosnt jump)
Filter(I recommend sponge filter)
100watt Heater
Substrate
Decorations and plants(fake or live I recommend live)
And read up on cycling the tank
Hi! Thank you for all the advice. Where can I get relatively inexpensive API test kits, and what kind of substrate do you recommend?

Do you have any suggestions for good gravel siphons under a relatively tight budget?
I think I got my first one at walmart for something around $6. That being said, it began to fall apart after 8 months or so and the hose was very inflexible. I got a nifty one at petco that has a little pump to start the siphoning. It is a little slower, but easier to start. I think I paid about $12 for it. One thing to remember is that (in the US at least) most chain stores will price match with their own website since it is usually cheaper (national price vs local price). I got it for almost $5 less than listed by price matching with their website. My state can be a bit expensive.

Water in a fish tank is ideal, yes, haha. How exactly do I go about finding the water parameter's GH and PH?
Your local water supplier (if on city water) should have it posted on their website, or you can give them a call. If you are on a well you will probably have to get a test kit. The strips are cheap, but can be unreliable. The API master test kits cost about $30 but do not have GH (general hardness) or KH (carbonate hardness) tests with them. The API comes with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. All of which are pretty important. Alternatively, you can take a cup of water to your pet store and ask them to test it for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back