Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
i have 3 27g tubs that i want to breed guppies and sell plants in
but i first need to know how to breed guppies efficiently

Grab a copy of this book
20210112_195053.jpg
20210112_195108.jpg

When I was a kid I decided to breed a metallic green I loved on my wild type, shortfin guppies. I made some progress, but I couldn't bring myself to kill any of the young that didn't show the trait, and was quickly overwhelmed. I had 7 small tanks and far too many guppies.
I helped clear out a guppy farm once, in a large heated shed out in the woods of Canada. It had been knocked out of business by a natural disaster. To maintain 3 lines, the man had 150 small tanks, as well as growouts. It isn't as easy as we think, resources wise.

What type of guppy variants are you interested in?
Are you trying to make your own strain?
nothing special, just
red dumbo mosaics, or full 24k gold (i found one at petsmart sold as Yellow guppy)
From what I’ve read on here they are very efficient at breeding without any human intervention 😂
no i mean how to selectively breed lol
to put culls into the community 75g and to sell the non-culls i guess

To maintain 3 lines, the man had 150 small tanks, as well as growouts. It isn't as easy as we think, resources wise.
True! Many think that it's easy to create a new line and that it breeds true. In case, one would like to create a new guppy line, background information about the genetics of both breeder fish is needed. Once the process has started, selecting is in need. So, one should cull the ones that don't meet up the desired traits sufficiently. Culling doesn't mean that one should kill the undesired ones. One can sell, donate or put them in a mutt tank. Do we need backcrossings in order to enhance a certain trait? And yes, sufficient space is needed. This means multiple tanks.

Unless, one prefers to breed randomly and wait how the offspring may look like, the above won't be in play anymore. Then it's just a surprise tank...

True! Many think that it's easy to create a new line and that it breeds true. In case, one would like to create a new guppy line, background information about the genetics of both breeder fish is needed. Once the process has started, selecting is in need. So, one should cull the ones that don't meet up the desired traits sufficiently. Culling doesn't mean that one should kill the undesired ones. One can sell, donate or put them in a mutt tank. Do we need backcrossings in order to enhance a certain trait? And yes, sufficient space is needed. This means multiple tanks.

Unless, one prefers to breed randomly and wait how the offspring may look like, the above won't be in play anymore. Then it's just a surprise tank...
for the first year, i don't need it to completely breed true. i just need the dumbo gene to not be recessive
Flipping heck, I think I paid $2.50 for it. It is still a good book.
photos???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back