How to safely catch Kuhli Loaches in a planted tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GLAB

Reaction score
I have had the fortunate experience of Kuhli loaches breeding in my community tank. Now that a year has passed I have an over abundance of them ! One of my sons came for a visit so I was challenged with capturing a few so he could introduce a few into his tank. I searched the web hoping someone could share their tricks for capturing them without destroying the decor of the tank or frightening all the other community fish in the process. No luck, with the best suggestion being the two net strategy.

I wanted to share my very effective solution. I actually captured many more than my son was willing to take.

I located my old Penn Plax liverbearer aqua nursery that has a v-shaped piece that separates the new born from the birthing mother. ( Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002APXM8/?tag=ff0d01-20 ) Amazon still sells them.

I only used the main chamber with the v shaped piece held in place with a stone so that it would sit on the bottom of the tank. Before placing the v-shaped piece into the main chamber I placed a cork to block the hole in the bottom (unique to this multiple chamber design) and a bottom feeding wafer to attract the Kuhli's.

Relatively quickly I had captured about 7-8. By the next morning there must have been at least 15 ! :oops:

I have many more than I imagined. I attached a side view of the scene.

I hope someone can benefit from this experience.

Attachments

• Catching_Kuhlis.jpg
    Catching_Kuhlis.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 86
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
With luck and patience, I wish you well. Congrats on breeding them. I had mine spawn but no young. If you figure out an easy way to catch them, please post it. :)

Catching Kuhlii Loaches ? Isn't that something like herding cats ?
Edit : I was too eager to be a weisenheimer and forgot to mention that this is the most excellent solution to catching Kuhlii Loaches I have ever seen and it is so simple. If you have tried to catch them yourself you know how exasperating the task is. If you have gone into a pet shop and asked to buy them you probably saw the look on the shopkeepers face. He really didn't want to do that that day. This method of capture is in the top ten of useful things I have learned on this forum.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back