How to remove this from panel of glass (see pics)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Idle0095

Reaction score
I have an older 110 gallon tank. The front panel has this stuff on it. Looks like the tank had something on the front.
Itā€™s not sticky or like a residue. Iā€™ve tried vinegar and alcohol. Itā€™s still not coming off. What can I use?

2165F647-7A69-42D8-AB53-35E44E9C3550.jpeg
419BE6B2-2E5A-4B1C-8A01-C257B0FEA379.jpeg

I have never been a fan a vinegar because of the aroma. So I have always used Muriatic Acid. However, this is nast stuff and not for the average user as it is dangerous. We had for stain remove in our swimming pool and it works under water. I also use it to lower pH in one tank, Finally, I have bought a lot of used tanks and I do a two stage cleaning. The first is an acid wash where I use a small amount of the acid in the tank which is filled to the top with water. That removes most of the calcium build up.

However, some stubborn spot remain and for then I use a stronger solution applied using a Q-tip. Anything that wont rub off will scrape off using a single edge razor which you can buy at any hardware store. This may be your best soltuion for removing the white dots as opposed to anything acid.

Muriatic acid is one of the names for hydrochloric acid, a corrosive strong acid. It is also known as spirits of salt or acidum salis. "Muriatic" means "pertaining to brine or salt". The chemical formula for muriatic acid is HCl. The acid is widely available at home supply stores.

I have never been a fan a vinegar because of the aroma. So I have always used Muriatic Acid. However, this is nast stuff and not for the average user as it is dangerous. We had for stain remove in our swimming pool and it works under water. I also use it to lower pH in one tank, Finally, I have bought a lot of used tanks and I do a two stage cleaning. The first is an acid wash where I use a small amount of the acid in the tank which is filled to the top with water. That removes most of the calcium build up.

However, some stubborn spot remain and for then I use a stronger solution applied using a Q-tip. Anything that wont rub off will scrape off using a single edge razor which you can buy at any hardware store. This may be your best soltuion for removing the white dots as opposed to anything acid.
Hi. I have tried a razor blade but this is almost like a cloud on the tank. Nothing Iā€™ve done will remove that from the front out side panel. I believe what happened is when I set the tank up I used the back of the tank as the front. Honestly the back looked better but itā€™s not. I think itā€™s from a background that was stuck on the tank.

Are we talking about the little white dots, or the cloudy residue? Could it be some kind of grease? If so a strong soap, maybe Dawn dishwashing liquid, might get it off.

Are we talking about the little white dots, or the cloudy residue? Could it be some kind of grease? If so a strong soap, maybe Dawn dishwashing liquid, might get it off.
Itā€™s cloudy but it doesnā€™t seem like a residue. Itā€™s stained on the glass. I canā€™t drain this and flip it around. I would rather remove the cloudy stuff on the front of glass.

Is it possible that this is etched into the class? Maybe someone tried to clean it with 00 steel wool, or some sort of strong chemical that stained the glass.

I donā€™t think so. It seems on top of glass.
I bought a used tank from CL and it has exactly the same issue as you describe. I, like you, tried everything I could throw at this fog to remove it. Unfortunately it's still there, but since I saw it before setup it's the back of the tank.
It's like a backing was used that left an unremovable stain on the glass. The glass is completely smooth so there's nothing to scrap off, using very harsh chemicals had no effect whatsoever when left to soak. It's gonna be hard, especially if you have water in it. Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back