How to plant Daffodil in mini pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a mini pond about 20 g and it has nothing in it just one lotusBulb and some random wild plant i collected in a river somewhere looks like Oregano
i just got many many narcissus from a sale at costco and i want to plant a lot of them in the pond to provide shelter for mosquitofish in the future maybe
how should i go about planting them?
the subsrate in the pond is pure clay from the ground

Bulbs will tend to rot if placed in a pond. Irises are the one thing that will do OK. plant them in large pots put gravel in the base of the pot up to where the water level will be then soil on top of that. Plant the m in the soil and place the whole thing in the pond.

Bulbs will tend to rot if placed in a pond. Irises are the one thing that will do OK. plant them in large pots put gravel in the base of the pot up to where the water level will be then soil on top of that. Plant the m in the soil and place the whole thing in the pond.
that's strange, i saw many wild daffodils doing fine...
the pond is really shallow and not super deep
is the pot method only for irises?

i found these common bulbs in the river (super shallow part of course)
daffodils
Peace lily
Iris

that's strange, i saw many wild daffodils doing fine...
the pond is really shallow and not super deep
is the pot method only for irises?

i found these common bulbs in the river (super shallow part of course)
daffodils
Peace lily
Iris
The pot method may work for the daffs just something I have never done give it a go there is nothing to lose

As @itiwhetu said, most bulbs will rot if left in water when the plants go dormant. Daffodils and most other spring flowering bulbs will grow if they get regular water, but the bulbs turn to mush when they are constantly wet.

Irises can be grown in shallow water but should be removed when they go dormant. Arum lily are another that do ok with wet feet but they don't have bulbs. Water chestnuts, papyrus and umbrella grass will all do well with wet feet. Hygrophila species, Amazon sword plants, Ludwigia, Bacopa will be fine around the edges too, however the swordplants might need to be brought indoors if it gets really cold.

If you want marsh plants for the pond, either set up an area with sand and put the plants in that. Or put them in pots and have the pots in the pond in the shallow areas. You can also get some polystyrene foam (about 2 inches thick) and cut holes in it that are big enough for the pots. The pots sit in the holes and the foam acts like a life preserver and lets the plants float around the pond. The plant roots are wet but the leaves remain dry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back