How To Measure Irregular Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dmarie04

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know that to determine the volume of a regular rectangle tank you take height x width x lenth and then divide by 231. But what about a long hexagon shaped tank? How would I determine the volume of this tank:
HEX.jpg

Measure (in volume) how much water it tanks to fill up the tank to a level of one inch, then multiply that volume by the height of the tank in inches (the level that it will be filled too). This will only work if the tank is empty!!

i.e. If it takes 2 gallons to fill the tank to a level of one inch and the tank is 10 inches high, the volume of the tank will be 20 gallons!

divide your tank into 3 then work the vol for each section -

spilt your tank into a rectangle and 2 triangles, work out the vol for each then add them together

daz

Hexagonal
Do not confuse hexagonal tanks (which are fairly rare) with octagonals (which are more common). A hexagonal tank has six sides (as per the diagram below) while the octagonal has eight.
To determine the surface area of a hexagonal tank you need to know its length (L), its width (W), and the length of the front pane (X).

Calculation form

The formula for surface area is then:

Area = 0.5(W.L + W.X)

ie: Multiply the width of the tank by its length and record the answer. Multiply the width of the tank by the length of the front pane and add this to the first number. Divide by two to get the surface area.

No diagram there, here you go
http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/faqs/a...volumecalc.html

And then multiply the S.A by the height to get volume. Volume will be in ml if you used cm as the unit, obviously that can be converted to whatever.

Hexagonal
Do not confuse hexagonal tanks (which are fairly rare) with octagonals (which are more common). A hexagonal tank has six sides (as per the diagram below) while the octagonal has eight.
To determine the surface area of a hexagonal tank you need to know its length (L), its width (W), and the length of the front pane (X).

Calculation form

The formula for surface area is then:

Area = 0.5(W.L + W.X)

ie: Multiply the width of the tank by its length and record the answer. Multiply the width of the tank by the length of the front pane and add this to the first number. Divide by two to get the surface area.

No diagram there, here you go
http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/faqs/a...volumecalc.html

And then multiply the S.A by the height to get volume. Volume will be in ml if you used cm as the unit, obviously that can be converted to whatever.

Thanks!! I got it figured out to about 25 gallons :)

Measure (in volume) how much water it tanks to fill up the tank to a level of one inch, then multiply that volume by the height of the tank in inches (the level that it will be filled too). This will only work if the tank is empty!!

i.e. If it takes 2 gallons to fill the tank to a level of one inch and the tank is 10 inches high, the volume of the tank will be 20 gallons!

I like this method! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back