Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I have the essentials covered.

• Right size tank
  • Crushed Coral Marine substrate to keep the PH high
  • Extra filtration to turn water over 10 times an hour
  • Rock Scape for hiding places

What I'd like to find out is what are the other things needed to make them happier

Air Stone
Wave surface agitator
Coloured lights
Anything

Depends what cichlids they are.

Looking at Peacocks

I think you got pretty much every thing covered. Peacocks like to free swim. So plenty of swimming space. I would add some ocean rock as well. These help keep the PH high.

What is your water GH?
Peacock Cichlids require high GH (hard water).
If you are using crushed corals, ensure that the GH can be achieved.

And what is the size of your tank?
You will need at least a 4 ft tank.

Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt is good if your GH is not high enough.
Follow the Lake Malawi instructions since Peacock are from Lake Malawi.

Thank you Lajos, very detailed.

I will go through all of them.

The water in Dubai is hard but I don't know the exact GH, I will need to get a test kit.

The tank I have is a 4 foot and 65 Gallons

The LFS has some beutaiful OB peacocks with yellow and blue, pink and blue that are about 1/1.5 inches and some strawberry peackons and Ruby reds that are 3 inches.

Can I buy these and put in the same tank? they are in the same tank at LFS

The water in Dubai is hard but I don't know the exact GH, I will need to get a test kit.

The LFS has some beutaiful OB peacocks with yellow and blue, pink and blue that are about 1/1.5 inches and some strawberry peackons and Ruby reds that are 3 inches.

4ft is good especially if it's 4ft by 2ft.

If they are from the same Peacock family and since your LFS mixed them together, usually it should be fine.

But you might want to find out more information about the species to ensure compatibility when they grow up.

Also, make sure they are of the same size and grow up to the same size to prevent bullying and aggression.

I know some African Cichlids that have stripes like Auratus are extremely aggressive and are not suitable.

I always use fine lime chip for the base of my African cichlid tanks. That will ensure you have the correct hardness.

OB fish are hybrids so not a particular species the OB stands for Orange Blotch which is what the first hybrid species were sold as. Are you looking to do a mixed Peacock tank with males and females or an all male tank?

If you are not particularly set on getting Peacocks though I'd have a look at this article about Mbunas I found it really useful to understand which species mix together well and which species to avoid. https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/the-mbuna-keepers-survival-guide/ It also helps you get a good idea of stocking levels too.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back