How to make food into smaller pieces.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish4dawin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just purchased a new tub of Fluval bug bites, and the food is slightly too big for my pearl danios to be eating. How can I make the food smaller, but not too small so that it doesn't dissolve straight away? I have tried crushing them in between my fingers, but they are very hard and difficult to split.

Many thanks,
Ev

Two methods that work (depending on the amounts needed) are a mortar and pestle, or a coffee grinder. Both work well. It is important to achieve the correct size as some small fish are greedy enough to swallow large pieces, only to become bloated or other problems.

I really like bug bites (for my fish...). I hate pellets! I ran mine through a coffee grinder.

Thanks for the advice, had thought of pestle and mortar but wanted to make sure.

I use a pestle and mortar, quick light pressure breaks pellets up a bit, hard pressure for a few minutes results in powder..

I find crushed sinking pellets still sink, just not a s quickly as whole pellets. The smaller particles drift downwards rather than plummet downwards.

I use my mom's meat tenderizer and put the bug bites in a plastic baggy... Then just BANG BANG BANG. All done :)

Thanks all! Never tried it, I’ll break some up. I also use Omega flakes, I just like to give a variety once in a while with the bug bites, but did notice they sink in short order, I,ll break them up!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back