How To Make A Sump (4 Foot Marine Tank)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sunny.C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a total newbie with marine, i need step by step guide on how to make a sump???
Hopeful some picture on how it works and what is what? :blink:

They charge $400au at my lfs to fully install a sump, is that a good price or should i just do it myself?? try in other words.

Well what do u want in your sump? u should put ur protein skimmer, heaters/chillers if needed, place to put a carbon or chemical filter, you could even put a refuguim down there. I just started with marine tanks 6 months ago and i built my own sump out of a 20 gallon long tank. I have my protein skimmer 2 heaters and some plants that sre in a little refuguim. Much cheaper to do it urself i only spent about 150$ or so on mine. It only cost that much because my tank wasnt drilled so i bought a overflow box. How big is ur tank? if u want to build a 4 foot sump a 30 long would do great. look up how to build a sump you can get a lot of great ideas on sumps you could build.

I have a 4 foot tank(55g) so i need a sump for that. What do you recommend and how did you make yours??? any websites or doc? I have no idea what i need to do your what a sump has in it.

I've used that site to, it helped me decide what kind of sump i should build. Since i was in ur situation about 5 months ago ill just tell you what worked for me. I used 20 gal long for my sump if i did it again i would use a 30 long more room for everything and it still fits under the 55 gal tank have 3 sections 1 section for the protein skimmer this is where the water enters the sump, followed by some baffles to get rid of all the bubbles then an area for live rock/sand and some plants, than i would have another section where ur return pump would be i made it smallin my 20 gal if i had a 30 i would make it much bigger as this is where all the evaperation occurs. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back