How To Make A Diy Python

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Can you use standard garden hose for this without any problems?

Yes you can. Standard garden hose and standard hose connectors. That's what makes it so easy!!

BTT

anyone got any pics of how the tap connector goes on the tap..I dont think my tap would be suitable for sticking a hose over in the kitchen. And where do u buy the hose from if using python spares for the connectors? can u buy python hose too? i only need about 10-15m of the stuff...

just built mine and i cant get it to flow the water out of the tank with any real flow..its gonna take longer using this than it would filling 12L buckets and poruing them away..filling it will work fine..is it because of the height of my tank? do i want to keep the hose as high as possible or as low as possible ? and should i cut the slack off the hose to the tank (dont have much mind)

i find it isnt the quickest way of emptying the tank but the easiest.

One thing i would do though is stick a hose in the tank , pop the lid on or something to hold the lid down and turn the tap on , this will push all the air out of the pipe , wait until you hear no bubles and quickly take the tap connector off. I can empty around 50galon in 40minutes -an hour over around 15 foot of pipe

i think ill make one .... but just for taking water out :) wouldn't risk the de chlorinator business
I have been doing it this way for years (adding water that is) without any problems. I don't have chlorine in my water but thats besides the point. For anybody else you just add the dechlor as the new water is going in, instant detoxification.

Also in the picture below, if you look at where the hose connects to the plastic faucet piece. If you put a garden hose quick disconnect there, after using the faucet to get the suction going you can shut the water off, disconnect it and it will still drain. This way you can you can drain it where ever you want, bathtub, sump pump etc. providing where you are draining it to is lower than the tank. This way the water is not running constantly and you are not wasting water down the drain.

Example: my 55 gal is in my bedroom, i hook my homemade python up in the bathroom, turn on the water to get the suction going, then i stick the gravel vac end in the tank, once the suction pulls water through the hose up to the faucet i turn the water off disconnect it via the quick disconnect, kink the hose then place it in the bathtub and the flow keeps going. Then i commence gravel vacing the when i am ready to fill i reverse the procedure. I run the water to get it to temp, hook the hose back up then switch it from suction to fill.

I use the same procedure for the tanks in the fish room in the basement except when i disconnect the hose i place it next to the sump pump to drain. This saves a lot of water.
FullPython.jpg

ha, thats clever! ive only ever seen a custom one made out of a bottle lol

The tap water would only affect the bacteria if the filter was turned on with no conditioner in.
How long would it take to empty 90% of a 125L tank using the diy python?

This is great but the only caveat I would give is to make sure the water temperature doesn't drastically change when you attach the stop. I know a change in flow has quite a difference on my combi boiler!

I know that I'm new to this but... there are loads of threads that advise not using water from the boiler. Not only for temperature regulation when the boiler re-kicks in but also for metals involved in the boiler system.

I am SOOOO tempted - yet conflicted... :crazy:

Thought I'd comment given my other thread covers this topic. Basically I have a round mixer tap and absolutely no supply of cheap hardware stores locally, or a Python. Came out of a garden centre today with 15m of hozelock hose, a 24mm round tap adapter and a couple of end caps (~£25). Hooked directly to the tap (no Y-joints) got water to flow into the tank, then stopped and disconnected and I immediately had a syphoning action coming from the tank into the sink.

All I needed was an eheim pipe sucker to keep the hose in place in the sink and I was happy cleaning. Just remember if you go this route to point your hose out in the garden before you switch on the tap water to prevent crap suck in the hoze going straight back into the tank. I had a load of sand in mine.

Thought I'd comment given my other thread covers this topic. Basically I have a round mixer tap and absolutely no supply of cheap hardware stores locally, or a Python. Came out of a garden centre today with 15m of hozelock hose, a 24mm round tap adapter and a couple of end caps (~£25). Hooked directly to the tap (no Y-joints) got water to flow into the tank, then stopped and disconnected and I immediately had a syphoning action coming from the tank into the sink.

All I needed was an eheim pipe sucker to keep the hose in place in the sink and I was happy cleaning. Just remember if you go this route to point your hose out in the garden before you switch on the tap water to prevent crap suck in the hoze going straight back into the tank. I had a load of sand in mine.
...or just lift it out of the tank....?

right iv had a crack at this but im buggered if i can get the flow started :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back