How To Know If Your Livebearers Ready To Drop Fry (Updated 15/04/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

5teady_2012

Here to help
Reaction score
EDITED (15th july 2009) - SORRY FOR THE SMALL PICTURES, THE ORIGINAL ONES WAS LOST BUT I MANAGED TO RETRIVE THE THUMBNAILS FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO...

TO TRY TO VIEW THEM BIGGER, HOLD CTRL AND USE THE - AND + TO ZOOM IN AND OUT ON YOUR KEYBOARD.

Since i took some pictures of my fish before it dropped its fry, i decided to show you all how to know when to trap your fish when the time is right.

I trapped this fish as i knew it was ready to drop, 10 mins later she started to gave birth... (lights out now so pics of fry tomorrow)

Please note that even though this explanation is with a platy, its the same process for all livebearers.

here is the pics of how to know when they are ready

Notice a white spot (ball like) near her anal fin, this has opened ready for the fry to come out
The white dot around their anal area is not what to look for, its actually the inner part of the tube to pay attention to, a slight ring will appear on the inner part and this is when the birthing tube has opened, the white dot just swells more when this appears.
Please not that using this method alone is not going to give you accurate info on when it will drop, after observing my pregnant fish, and tracking their due dates, this birthing tube can open up up to 7 days before the drop.

, also you can see her gravid spot is very dark (gravid spot is not always a good indication though so please dont go just by that)

DSC01245.jpg

From the overhead view, you can see she is very wide

images.jpg

From a back view, you can again see her width is larger. (almost like a ball type shape)

DSC01242.jpg

Notice how on this, you can see her belly is squared off (bottom) her back end of her belly has dropped as much as the front.

DSC01244.jpg

^^^again, notice the white ball like spot near her anal fin^^^

From this view again, you can see her belly is squared off
DSC01243.jpg

Here is a view of her how her belly should look (ive drawn a line to represent her normal size)

DSC01243.jpg

Again lines to represent her normal size.

DSC01246.jpg

This is what is best to look out for for when your fish is ready to drop.

Also before i trapped her, i noticed her dwelling in the plants being very unsocial and almost static in movement.

Most people catch the fish with net then put them in the trap..

its best to just use net to persuade her to move towards the trap then scoop her in with the trap (put trap underwater below her), this way no handling at all has to be done.

I hope this helps you to figure out how to not only use a trap at the right time, but the best time to place her in it, and know when she is ready to drop.

please be aware that when placing a fish in a trap, she should not be kept in it longer than 48 hours, if she drops fry beforehand, release her when you think she is done.

Always feed her a tiny bit of food and out the tank lights when placing her in the trap (put a cover over the tank if in bright room)

Mummy gets hungry after giving birth so to help the fry, place some floating plants in the trap, the fry will drop in the bottom section out of danger anyways, but thier first instinct is to swim towards the surface (nearl light especially and this is why we out the lights as well)...

------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED 15th september

there is more to to take in to consideration, like age, size etc..

The best thing to do is, when they have had thier first drop, write down the date, they should drop again 4 weeks after (6 at most but very rare), you will start to see a pattern in thier drops and this gives you a more accurate time of when they will next drop...

Otherwise, there is other signs..

They will become very unsocial
The anal area will slighty open up
The back end of the fish's belly will drop as much as the front causing it to square off.
The gravid spot may darken (not the best indication)
You will see little black dots in the gravid spot (the fry's eyes)
From a over head view, she will look very wide.
From a back or front view, she will be ball shaped.

You must take in to consideration that smaller fish will not get as big as adult ones when pregnant as they produce less fry

Other behaviour when ready to drop...

The fish will be static in movement whilst dropping fry, (only while the fry is actually coming out)
They may hide away in plants and other areas.
They will dwell on the bottom of the tank.
They will go to corners of the tank (top and bottom)
They may hang around the heater, internal filters, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 10th, she has dropped again, this time i video taped it and edited so you can see the drop of the fry,

click here for vid

She has had 33 fry altogether, 20+ of which is on the video.

I trapped at 11:30 midnight 9/9/08 and she dropped at around 12:00pm 10/9/08

Same behaviour, dwelling before i trapped her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

September 16th..

Lyretail sword, dropped.

11:03pm, i placed her in the trap cos her birthing tube had opened (white spot near anal area) and she had isolated herself in a bunch of plants.

Placed in trap...

Overhead view she was wide

DSC01654.jpg

side view, she wasnt huge but i knew it was time. (look at the anal area - white dot=brith tube opened)

DSC01651.jpg

The new fry - 33 in total counted (2:59am)

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

How she looked after the births.

Very slim from front view

DSC01677.jpg

Clearly see the diffrence in the belly (not dropped as much anymore.)

DSC01675.jpg

Understanding what squared off is, and knwoing the difference between squared off, over fad, and normal size.

ADDED - 15/04/10

Here is a pic (Krissykat's picutre), i have done lines to represent what i mean...

Black line - Her normal size how she should be.

Red line - Over fed (belly dropped too much at front)...

White line - How she will look when heavy pregnant.

26218384232868873516043.jpg

Glad this has been pinned, will be very useful :good:
Thanks for this, I noticed the white spot on mine.

The hardest part was knowing when she had finished. I could still see the white bit on her business end, but when she started chasing the fry to eat them I thought she had finished.

Do you have a better way?

Also, having read the above, I saw the white spot on the other pregnant one. So I put her in a breeding trap as described, but she became very stressed going back and forth very quickly, so I let her out. I will let nature take its course, there are plenty of plants.

Glad this has been pinned, will be very useful :good:
Thanks for this, I noticed the white spot on mine.

The hardest part was knowing when she had finished. I could still see the white bit on her business end, but when she started chasing the fry to eat them I thought she had finished.

Do you have a better way?

You know when they have finished by thier behaviour, they go hyper all of sudden when they have finished and trying very hard to get out of trap, they also look like they are trying to feed off nothing thats there (as if they want feeding)..

All i do is, once they start to beahve this way, and look very thin, this is when i realease her, feed her well afterwards cos she will be very hungry.

I just watched your short video and find it very hard to judge because the quality is poor. From what I can tell, the trapped female looks like she was several days from a drop when the picture was taken. She is also showing signs of considerable stress from the extreme confinement. At the very least, she should have some small plants placed in the trap and have the lights turned off to allow her to calm down a bit.

I just watched your short video and find it very hard to judge because the quality is poor. From what I can tell, the trapped female looks like she was several days from a drop when the picture was taken. She is also showing signs of considerable stress from the extreme confinement. At the very least, she should have some small plants placed in the trap and have the lights turned off to allow her to calm down a bit.

thanks a lot :D

Hello OldMan47

Does several days mean a week or so?? I'm not sure if I should let her go?? We're worried that she might give birth while we're not here?? And we're not here five days a week?? I have studies and the rest of our family has work??

P.S. she gave birth last time during the night and all the other fish ate her up?? We also have a few tunnels in the tank that lead under the gravel...Would that be a good hiding spot for the fry??

hi there jackie b here. i am new to having my first tropical tank. i have a platy that has become very fat and in her gravit spot but red and not black, my friend told me she pregnant, yet the guppies and swordtails are black on the gravit, is she pregnant. she's hiding low in the tank and not eating much at all . can you advice me please . quote name='Livebearer_Master' date='13 August 2008 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1218663418' post='2092149']
EDITED (15th july 2009) - SORRY FOR THE SMALL PICTURES, THE ORIGINAL ONES WAS LOST BUT I MANAGED TO RETRIVE THE THUMBNAILS FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO...

TO TRY TO VIEW THEM BIGGER, HOLD CTRL AND USE THE - AND + TO ZOOM IN AND OUT ON YOUR KEYBOARD.

Since i took some pictures of my fish before it dropped its fry, i decided to show you all how to know when to trap your fish when the time is right.

I trapped this fish as i knew it was ready to drop, 10 mins later she started to gave birth... (lights out now so pics of fry tomorrow)

Please note that even though this explanation is with a platy, its the same process for all livebearers.

here is the pics of how to know when they are ready

Notice a white spot (ball like) near her anal fin, this has opened ready for the fry to come out
there is a diffrence between the birthing tube opening and the white dot
When a livebearer is ready to drop, the white dot displays like a dark ring aroun the inner edge (basically like a new hole appearing)

, also you can see her gravid spot is very dark (gravid spot is not always a good indication though so please dont go just by that)

DSC01245.jpg

From the overhead view, you can see she is very wide

images.jpg

From a back view, you can again see her width is larger. (almost like a ball type shape)

DSC01242.jpg

Notice how on this, you can see her belly is squared off (bottom) her back end of her belly has dropped as much as the front.

DSC01244.jpg

^^^again, notice the white ball like spot near her anal fin^^^

From this view again, you can see her belly is squared off
DSC01243.jpg

Here is a view of her how her belly should look (ive drawn a line to represent her normal size)

View attachment 52668

Again lines to represent her normal size.

View attachment 52669

This is what is best to look out for for when your fish is ready to drop.

Also before i trapped her, i noticed her dwelling in the plants being very unsocial and almost static in movement.

Most people catch the fish with net then put them in the trap..

its best to just use net to persuade her to move towards the trap then scoop her in with the trap (put trap underwater below her), this way no handling at all has to be done.

I hope this helps you to figure out how to not only use a trap at the right time, but the best time to place her in it, and know when she is ready to drop.

please be aware that when placing a fish in a trap, she should not be kept in it longer than 48 hours, if she drops fry beforehand, release her when you think she is done.

Always feed her a tiny bit of food and out the tank lights when placing her in the trap (put a cover over the tank if in bright room)

Mummy gets hungry after giving birth so to help the fry, place some floating plants in the trap, the fry will drop in the bottom section out of danger anyways, but thier first instinct is to swim towards the surface (nearl light especially and this is why we out the lights as well)...

------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED 15th september

there is more to to take in to consideration, like age, size etc..

The best thing to do is, when they have had thier first drop, write down the date, they should drop again 4 weeks after (6 at most but very rare), you will start to see a pattern in thier drops and this gives you a more accurate time of when they will next drop...

Otherwise, there is other signs..

They will become very unsocial
The anal area will slighty open up
The back end of the fish's belly will drop as much as the front causing it to square off.
The gravid spot may darken (not the best indication)
You will see little black dots in the gravid spot (the fry's eyes)
From a over head view, she will look very wide.
From a back or front view, she will be ball shaped.

You must take in to consideration that smaller fish will not get as big as adult ones when pregnant as they produce less fry

Other behaviour when ready to drop...

The fish will be static in movement whilst dropping fry, (only while the fry is actually coming out)
They may hide away in plants and other areas.
They will dwell on the bottom of the tank.
They will go to corners of the tank (top and bottom)
They may hang around the heater, internal filters, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 10th, she has dropped again, this time i video taped it and edited so you can see the drop of the fry,

click here for vid

She has had 33 fry altogether, 20+ of which is on the video.

I trapped at 11:30 midnight 9/9/08 and she dropped at around 12:00pm 10/9/08

Same behaviour, dwelling before i trapped her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

September 16th..

Lyretail sword, dropped.

11:03pm, i placed her in the trap cos her birthing tube had opened (white spot near anal area) and she had isolated herself in a bunch of plants.

Placed in trap...

Overhead view she was wide

DSC01654.jpg

side view, she wasnt huge but i knew it was time. (look at the anal area - white dot=brith tube opened)

DSC01651.jpg

The new fry - 33 in total counted (2:59am)

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

How she looked after the births.

Very slim from front view

DSC01677.jpg

Clearly see the diffrence in the belly (not dropped as much anymore.)

DSC01675.jpg

Understanding what squared off is, and knwoing the difference between squared off, over fad, and normal size.

ADDED - 15/04/10

Here is a pic (Krissykat's picutre), i have done lines to represent what i mean...

Black line - Her normal size how she should be.

Red line - Over fed (belly dropped too much at front)...

White line - How she will look when heavy pregnant.

26218384232868873516043.jpg

[/quote]

i noticed that my guppie has opened up her birthing tube, so would this probabally be tonight she gives birth?

Hi everyone, Im new here, I have a question..

Can i put two or more pregnant guppies in a single birthing tank?.

hi,

`i have 10 babies in a floating hatchery - i thought they were tetra's but upon posting a pic, i have been advised they aare likely to be guppies (i only bought the adults on saturday so were pregnant in the aquatic shop!)

is it normal for the guppy to still look pregnant after dropping them? is she likely to have more over the next few days? plus the other female's black spot is very dark and big and she has a belly on her - is she likely to be pregnant as well?

i will try and get a pic of the 2 adults to help.

(ps - the fish were not bought for breeding, nor did i realise they were pregnant - my sons choose them as 1 has a greeny-yellow tail and the other has a blue tail. the fish were bought for the kids to watch not look after, hence the shock of babies and what i did for them over on other thread.)

If you have a nice separate tank for a guppy to drop her fry in, a second female will increase the predation a bit but should be fine until the first one drops her fry. Once one of the females has dropped her fry, I would remove her to minimize the number of fry that end up eaten by the adults.

here are my 2 guppies:

this is the 1 with a blue-ish tale, when you zoon in the pic, there is what looks like an eye near the black spot! (and her relfection!)
optd1u.jpg

this is the 1 with a yellow tail,
a4r6sh.jpg

and a 2nd pick of yellow 1:
241uqlh.jpg

are either pregnant? which 1 is likely to be the mother of the (now) 11 babies?

The yellow tailed fish is obviously much heavier than the blue tailed one. I would not expect either one to drop fry very soon but the yellow tailed one may be as close as a week to 10 days away. The blue tailed guppy is not that close in my estimation.

The yellow tailed fish is obviously much heavier than the blue tailed one. I would not expect either one to drop fry very soon but the yellow tailed one may be as close as a week to 10 days away. The blue tailed guppy is not that close in my estimation.

thanks.

the yellow tail gave birth last night to 22 babies. i now have a total of 33!!! still none the wiser as to which 1 the first 11 came from as i only have the 2 of them. yellow's belly looks normal size now but blue is still big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back