How to keep these plant in good shape?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

concentration

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I have be told that depending on the tank , not every kind of plant may grow well

But can only tell me how to keep this specific plant alive as it seem I can't keep it well with my tank

My tank is ph 7 gh around 4

Its a low tech tank but sometime I will put co2 booster to it , there are fishes and I do put some liquid nuturial

289357ece2efe1e25faa33e11e2a4449.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There are two species of floating plant shown, the one on the right (greener) is a Salvinia. Not sure about the dying one on the left (yellow/brown)--a water lettuce or another salvinia?

Light and nutrients are the two factors for plant growth in the aquarium. If you could detail your lighting, it would help. Also, aside from the liquid carbon, are any other fertilizers being added?

On the liquid carbon (CO2 Booster, presumably the API brand), this is not going to be of any help with floating plants. Being at the surface, floaters can use atmospheric CO2 which is about four times easier than assimilating CO2 from the water, and there will be a plentiful supply from the air. Liquid carbon supplements can kill some plants, and if overdosed they can kill everything. Like all additives, they end up inside fish, and this should be minimized whenever possible for the sake of the fish.

Byron.

Ohh I see so much thx for the info about the booster , I. Not sure but is this kind of lighting enough ?(please see below )

Aside from seeing that lighting is LED, I have no data. But nothing is mentioned about fertilizers aside from the carbon, so I am going to suggest that is more likely the specific issue. I would get yourself a small bottle of a comprehensive supplement. I use Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and another similar is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Both are complete, and highly concentrated, so you use very little. Floating plants are fast growing; they are closer to the light, and they can take CO2 from the air, but they need the other nutrients from the water to use all this to grow. The fertilizer mentioned, either one, should help.

You didn't mention what the yellow plant is...but I have seen similar responses and in my case nutrients were the issue, and the light in the photo seems to be good spectrum though I can't be certain, but there appears to be some warmth (red) in the colour so it may be fine. I would try the fertilizer for a few weeks, dose as recommended on the label of whichever you get, and it should improve.

Be specific with the named fertilizers, as both companies make several products in the "Flourish" and "Florin" lines, and you want these mentioned.

Byron.

My tank is ph 7 gh around 4

Its a low tech tank but sometime I will put co2 booster to it

You water is perfect for plants. CO2 and liquid CO2 bosters are more of a fad at the moment. In my experience plants don't die if they are low on CO2. They go dormant instead. A lack of mineral nutrients is 99% of the time the problem. While fish food will provided minertal nutrients it is generally not enough. Furthermore most fertilizers on the market not contain all 15 of the mineral nutrients plants need to grow. The Two byron mentioned are the best on the market right now. When plants don't have enough mineral nutrients the leaves can die which is what is happening in your picture.

On the liquid carbon (CO2 Booster, presumably the API brand)
I was given a bottle of API co2 booster used it for 5 weeks and TBH I saw no improvement in my plants, and after reading that the main ingredient glutaraldehyde caused skin irritations, severe eye, nose, throat and lung irritation, along with headaches, drowsiness and dizziness I safely got rid of it, if its not safe for me to pour onto my skin or inhale the fumes its not fish safe, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

I use a Aqua One LED Mini Touch LED 6w on my 20 gallon low tech betta sorority and it works great.

Never used api. But glut in general shouldn't be damaging the salvania. Although as stated probably not helping it alot either as it gets plenty. Mine does appreciate macros and micros. Growth was slow the first month. Once established I pitch about 4 handfuls a week. Light looks suspect but ive grown it with sun light.

Make sure its not getting too much flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Aside from seeing that lighting is LED, I have no data. But nothing is mentioned about fertilizers aside from the carbon, so I am going to suggest that is more likely the specific issue. I would get yourself a small bottle of a comprehensive supplement. I use Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and another similar is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Both are complete, and highly concentrated, so you use very little. Floating plants are fast growing; they are closer to the light, and they can take CO2 from the air, but they need the other nutrients from the water to use all this to grow. The fertilizer mentioned, either one, should help.

You didn't mention what the yellow plant is...but I have seen similar responses and in my case nutrients were the issue, and the light in the photo seems to be good spectrum though I can't be certain, but there appears to be some warmth (red) in the colour so it may be fine. I would try the fertilizer for a few weeks, dose as recommended on the label of whichever you get, and it should improve.

Be specific with the named fertilizers, as both companies make several products in the "Flourish" and "Florin" lines, and you want these mentioned.

Byron.
Oh thank you so much , I will try with one of the two fert product and see how it works [emoji1]

You water is perfect for plants. CO2 and liquid CO2 bosters are more of a fad at the moment. In my experience plants don't die if they are low on CO2. They go dormant instead. A lack of mineral nutrients is 99% of the time the problem. While fish food will provided minertal nutrients it is generally not enough. Furthermore most fertilizers on the market not contain all 15 of the mineral nutrients plants need to grow. The Two byron mentioned are the best on the market right now. When plants don't have enough mineral nutrients the leaves can die which is what is happening in your picture.
Yes I will def try to get some nice fert and give it another shot , thank you and will see

Never used api. But glut in general shouldn't be damaging the salvania. Although as stated probably not helping it alot either as it gets plenty. Mine does appreciate macros and micros. Growth was slow the first month. Once established I pitch about 4 handfuls a week. Light looks suspect but ive grown it with sun light.

Make sure its not getting too much flow.

Oh did you mention not too much flow ? Are you saying they should be on some water surface which flow should not be too strong ??
That maybe something I should look into

Yes too much flow is a concern. If they are getting pushed under, or just beat on too much they wont do well.

Yes too much flow is a concern. If they are getting pushed under, or just beat on too much they wont do well.

That may be a key to resolve this !!! I think the fert is an issue too as few other plant in my tank aren't doing too well but for the flowing plant, I can see they consistently being push down from time to time, I will try to get the flow slower and see

What type of filter do you have?

What type of filter do you have?
This brand and look like this and I " think " the model is 1000 , it has pretty strong flow of water coming out and the flowing planet from time to time will "swim" to it and then got push down
bce83584bd5c451b3d5cc1bfbbab3a4e.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back