How to grow algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dajuyu

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Kinda off the opposite from what was discussed.
I am trying to grow algae in my small 5 Gallon tank outdoor.

1) No direct sunlight bare minimum light
2) 5 gallon tank
3) No fish and No plants
4) Tank with some gravel and white sand full water (from main tank)
5) Some used bio balls

Need some algae growth for my bottom tank feeders (Rainbow Shark and Plecos ) to eat .
Wonder how long will it take since I have already started a week ago but the water is still clear just some brownish dust covered the sides of the tank (from the inside)

Highly appreciated all your comments and suggestions

Algae loves strong light. Direct sunlight would be best, or a strong lamp + fertilizer overdose. In a dark tank the best you can hope for is diatoms.
Wouldn't it be easier to get some algae wafers/tablets for your bottom feeders? Growing algae seems like a bit of a hassle, and I'm not sure how you're planning to extract it and feed it to the fish. Doesn't seem very efficient imho, unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Algae loves strong light. Direct sunlight would be best, or a strong lamp + fertilizer overdose. In a dark tank the best you can hope for is diatoms.
Wouldn't it be easier to get some algae wafers/tablets for your bottom feeders? Growing algae seems like a bit of a hassle, and I'm not sure how you're planning to extract it and feed it to the fish. Doesn't seem very efficient imho, unless I misunderstood what you meant.
Yes you get me correct there .

Thinking to move once in a while those plecos to algae infested Tank (which I grow of course ). Well since I have all the time in the world now due to my area being locked down and all.

Abaddon is right.

Strong light + fertilizer (probably some fish food may work also) will give you a lot of algae.

If you want to do it indoor, get a light(LED or flourescent) with wattage of 10-20W for your 5 gallons tank.
Turn it on for 10 hours a day, you will definitely get a lot of algae in 2 weeks time.

But do take note that some algae(eg. black beard algae) can be a nuisance, ugly and hard to get rid off.

Diatoms(brown algae) are ugly as they are usually caused by silicates from a new tank. But you can wipe them off easily from the glass. Then let the green algae grows as they are nicer looking.

Also, make sure that you don't get the blue-green algae which is a cyanobacteria and not an algae.

I'm currently preparing my tank for Sulawesi shrimps(Cardinal shrimps) which feed mainly on algae and they don't really eat shrimps pellets. So, I'm letting the algae to grow in my tank.

Some information about types of algae:

Last edited:
Get a plastic storage container and put it outside in the sun.
Fill it with dechlorinated water.
Add 1 level tablespoon of lawn or garden fertiliser for every 20 litres of water. Stir it up.
Add some smooth rocks or plastic ornaments. Leave them in the water until they get covered in green algae.
Move a couple of rocks/ ornaments into the tank for the fish to graze on.
Swap rocks/ ornaments each week.

if mosquito larvae appears in the container of green water, use an aquarium fish net to scoop them out and feed them to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back