How To Get Rid Of This Algae ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MORGANpl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Everything was ok with my tank but now Im getting some dark green algae on my 3Dbackground. Its very hard to remove. Ive try to brush off but it looks like its growing from it?!?! Ive got lights on for 8h a day. Using Fluval 305 and 205 filters(205 with UV)and small vawemaker to move the water. Any ideas??
P1030671_zpsaa0fab0e.jpg

P1030672_zpsccf8d867.jpg

Looks like black brush algae, caused by low or fluctuating CO2 levels, doing water changes with lights out will help and spot dosing with excel will kill it.

Looks like black brush algae, caused by low or fluctuating CO2 levels, doing water changes with lights out will help and spot dosing with excel will kill it.

How often should I change the water and for how long keep the lights off?? Is the excel something that you are adding to the tank at night when the lights go out?? I read something about that but I'm not sure :unsure:

Excel is a liquid that has the same effects to your plants as CO2 but its also a strong cleaning agent, dropping water level, exposing the algae and spraying Excel mixed with water 1:20 ratio over it and leaving it for few mins before refilling will kill it. over a few days it will turn red and die off before vanishing. In future just do all water changes after lights out or get your water prepared in a container with the lid off for a few days before your water change so the CO2 in the tap water gasses off before it goes in the tank. That way the small fluctuations in CO2 wont happen and you want get the BBA back.

Excel is a liquid that has the same effects to your plants as CO2 but its also a strong cleaning agent, dropping water level, exposing the algae and spraying Excel mixed with water 1:20 ratio over it and leaving it for few mins before refilling will kill it. over a few days it will turn red and die off before vanishing. In future just do all water changes after lights out or get your water prepared in a container with the lid off for a few days before your water change so the CO2 in the tap water gasses off before it goes in the tank. That way the small fluctuations in CO2 wont happen and you want get the BBA back.

Should I use only tap water?? Im asking as Im using RO water. I mean when I do water changes I add RO water and tap water that is standing 5-7 days in container. I will add soon a CO2 kit. Will this help?

If adding RO then just make sure any changes are done with lights off,its easier that way, do you have plants in there? Got a pic?

If adding RO then just make sure any changes are done with lights off,its easier that way, do you have plants in there? Got a pic?

my tank
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/390263-my-new-fluval-vicenza-260-limited-edition-upgrade/

I wouldn't bother with CO2, no need,just get rid of the air pump as it gets rid of most of the CO2 thats in the water, as plants need some in there, just not a lot. :)

Will that help as well with the algae? If I remove the air pump will that affect my fish?

Providing your water quality is good you don't need to add oxygen to it, your plants will do that for you. It will help with algae as BBA is also caused by too low CO2 levels so getting rid of the air pump will keep more in the water. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back