How to get rid of green algue?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jean1984

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have green algue in my 20gallon fish tank?

I have 3 sunburst wag platy and one of the female today gave birth to two little tiny platties.

I have green algue in my fish tank and not sure how to get rid of it?

I downgraded my lights on for 9hrs instead of 8hrs....

first turn off filter and anythig causeing flow.
wipe

do you like nerite snails?
they can help with algae but you mstly have to do it yourself

first turn off filter and anythig causeing flow.
wipe

do you like nerite snails?
they can help with algae but you mstly have to do it yourself
Thats correct because the green algue is all around my air bubbler.... i guess i ll have to change position of my air bubbler....not the first time I hear about snail i ll have to look into it hut i have super tiny baby platies in there i want make sure they grow healthy...

Picture of the tank?
Do you have any live plants in the tank?

Algae grows anywhere there is water and light. If you have live plants, they help to use the light and nutrients and reduce the algae. If you don't have any live plants, then algae will grow instead of the plants.

Either add more live plants or reduce the lighting. However, all tanks get some algae and it is normal, so don't worry too much if there is a small amount on some ornaments or other items in the tank.

Thats correct because the green algue is all around my air bubbler.... i guess i ll have to change position of my air bubbler....not the first time I hear about snail i ll have to look into it hut i have super tiny baby platies in there i want make sure they grow healthy...
your platies won't bother the snail, the snail will just go back in its shell if its bothered
algae isnt much of a health issue imo, but limiting it is good for plants

Picture of the tank?
Do you have any live plants in the tank?

Algae grows anywhere there is water and light. If you have live plants, they help to use the light and nutrients and reduce the algae. If you don't have any live plants, then algae will grow instead of the plants.

Either add more live plants or reduce the lighting. However, all tanks get some algae and it is normal, so don't worry too much if there is a small amount on some ornaments or other items in the tank.
If you look at my profile picture, this is my fish tank. Thanks for the advice.

could you get a better FULL size image?
Here is a picture of my fish tank and can you see the spot of green algue on the second last and last picture ?
Green_algue.jpg
green_algue1.jpg
green_algue2.jpg

It would help to have the lighting data. Nine hours was a lot, eight is still a lot, depending upon the intensity (spectrum figures in too) and nutrient balance, for the number of plants. What @Colin_T was referring to earlier.

Also, how often and what volume are water changes? They remove (or can) organics which feed algae (when the plants cannot use them).

No fish/snail is going to make much difference with problem algae like this. And chemicals with fish in the tank are never the solution. Restoring (or establishing) the light/nutrient balance is how you control algae. We need to help find this balance.

You sure don't have an overcrowded tank. It's also very bright..not a bad thing,but its lit up like an aquarium for many plants to grow in. A good wiping down,weekly water changes and shorter photoperiod..7 hours say,should make it all good.

You sure don't have an overcrowded tank. It's also very bright..not a bad thing,but its lit up like an aquarium for many plants to grow in. A good wiping down,weekly water changes and shorter photoperiod..7 hours say,should make it all good.
they do have some tissue culture stems... it should spread and keep algae better

That's another point- why are the plants in tubes? They should be in the gravel. Also- Sword plants look great- too bad you planted them close to the front glass. They are background or centerpiece plants. Looking at your Alternanthera,I wonder if its A. reineckii OR the one that does not grow underwater but looks much like the real deal? I was fooled a few years ago into that.

That's another point- why are the plants in tubes? They should be in the gravel. Also- Sword plants look great- too bad you planted them close to the front glass. They are background or centerpiece plants. Looking at your Alternanthera,I wonder if its A. reineckii OR the one that does not grow underwater but looks much like the real deal? I was fooled a few years ago into that.
that's not good. fake plants are everywhere...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back