How to get rid of duckweed or stop it getting pushed under water by filter flow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yellowstitch123

Reaction score
I stupidly welcomed duckweed in to my tank and did not consider the fact it was going to get knocked around by my filter flow (external filter, fluval 307).
I asked a relative for some as it's been so hard to get hold of any floating plants, and he did give me the warning "once you put it in your tank, you will never get rid of it".
Well...now I want to get rid of it.

I have cichlids so need a reasonable filter flow and it's just getting pushed underneath the water by the filter and looks horrible. I have crafted a little ring made out of air line to put around the outlet areas, to stop the duckweed getting there, but it isn't working 100%.

So, is there an obvious way to stop this being a problem? Or is there a way that I can get rid of the duckweed?
Does it dislike a lot of surface movement? If so could just tolerate how ugly it is in the water for the time being, keep up with scooping it out, and hope that it doesn't take.

Why have I done this to myself?!

Since you don't have any fish that eats the stuff and are in a hurry you might try what I did. It works if you are meticulous: Wait until it is time for a water change. Turn off your filter. Remove as much as you can with a fine mesh net. Lower the water level about 2-inches. Wipe off the duckweed that is sticking to the glass and anything else above the water's surface such as filter uplift hose and ornaments. Lower the water level again and repeat. Look for any duckweed floating around or stuck to the substrate and remove. No, to answer your question about whether it likes moving water. The problem is it takes awhile and the stuff decays and fouls your tank. So best to remove it.

I've just nipped over to my tank as I can hear some splashing, and my severum is eating it. I didn't realise they ate it.
Unfortunately I am away for the next few days so don't want it to take over while I am gone, but am hoping a combination of decent surface movement and a hungry severum might do the trick.
Thank-you for your replies. I have just done a 10% water change, scooped as much as I could out of the tank and wiped a lot of the glass. Then did another 10%. Unfortunately at 10pm at night I don't think I can keep up with that for too much longer tonight.

Took me a month or two to eradicate it from my 55g. Trouble is that if you miss one bit, it'll all be back in couple weeks. But it can be done.

Duckweed and HOB filters do NOT mix!!

Took me a month or two to eradicate it from my 55g. Trouble is that if you miss one bit, it'll all be back in couple weeks. But it can be done.

Duckweed and HOB filters do NOT mix!!
It works fine with me as long as my water is top off or you can get a ring to block it from the flow they are 10-15$ on etsy

Use a comb to collect it from the surface, dip the comb in a bucket, and repeat. Throw the bucket of duckweed on to the compost/ garden. Repeat daily.

I am having the exact same issue. I just removed a bucketful from all my tanks AND THERE WAS MORE A WEEK LATER.

I regret not doing proper research on floating plants before buying it.

It’s choking my plants… robbing them of previous light…. My poor filters need unclogged constantly……

I got it to help guppy fry survive, but I’ve decided to move away from guppy breeding. They’re too boink happy….. I love guppies, I do, but it was exhausting keeping up. And they overstock tanks too quickly.

I like how the duckweed absolutely slurp up the bad stuff, but…. The cons outweigh the pros.

I wanna look into other types of floating plants but it just seems like all my LFS have are duckweed.

Anyone have any suggestions for floating plants that have a slower growth rate??

Y'all want yours gone... I just want something to grow and thrive in my tank besides algae 😂

Duckweed.......the cockroach of the plant world.

It survives everything. Multiplies as soon as your back is turned. Shows up where none has been before. Generally drives many to utter madness, bad language outbursts and complete exhaustion trying to extinguish the little blighter.

Y'all want yours gone... I just want something to grow and thrive in my tank besides algae 😂
….would you like some duckweed?

I’m convinced duckweed would survive a nuclear war.

Well the severums aren't hungry any more, my air line ring now appears to be working.

I will have to leave it for the next few days whilst I'm away then let the battle of the duckweed commence.

I'm convinced my filter flow is slower already from where it was getting knocked around last night but I don't think that would happen that quickly.

I am having the exact same issue. I just removed a bucketful from all my tanks AND THERE WAS MORE A WEEK LATER.

I regret not doing proper research on floating plants before buying it.

It’s choking my plants… robbing them of previous light…. My poor filters need unclogged constantly……

I got it to help guppy fry survive, but I’ve decided to move away from guppy breeding. They’re too boink happy….. I love guppies, I do, but it was exhausting keeping up. And they overstock tanks too quickly.

I like how the duckweed absolutely slurp up the bad stuff, but…. The cons outweigh the pros.

I wanna look into other types of floating plants but it just seems like all my LFS have are duckweed.

Anyone have any suggestions for floating plants that have a slower growth rate??
I didn't do enough research either, I just took what was available and regretted it 1 minute after putting it all in. But it is too late. And I was given quite a lot...

I think what I actually wanted was frogbit. I still don't know anything about it, but from pictures, it is what I wanted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back