How To Frag A Fungai Plate Coral?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

1entra

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a plate coral that has nowgrown too big for it's loction and i wish to frag it so it has more room for itself. can somebody please tell me how to do this? can i be done simly by breaking it into half?

thanks in advance?

i've seen people frag plates by just cutting it with a dremel. they take it to be like a pie and cut out a full quarter (all the way to the centre) and then just leave the two pieces there (separated).

the seem to grow back but it takes a really long time

hi

just cut it once in the middle and then cut it again and in the middle again with the 2 half pecies so if you just want to half pecice then cut it in have it will take about a year and a half to grow back

thanks scott

Hey,
I heard that these guys are pretty hard to frag. I asked the same question a while back on another fourm. They said that they have a poor chance of growing again and a good chance of dying. You might want to post on fragoutpost.com. They have some good info there. Look around and you may even find an article on how to frag them. If you do frag it, let me know how it works out. I want to do mine if your's works.

Slicing them up like a pizza works best, trying to get a piece of the center mouth with each.

I was reading that if you just break them up any way they do good. And if it ever looks like it dies KEEP IT. give it a couple months and small daughter colonies may appear. I heard this from a bunch of guys and read it also.

thanks for all the input guys. i will frag mine soon.

coming to think about it, about a year ago i accidently snapped my fungai in half and it looked absolutely dead and messy so i threw half of it away in fear it would nuke my tank or something but kept th other half coz at the time it was attached to a piece of LR, well over the last year thishalf has not only remined alive but has grown quite large hence the need to want to frag it!

Most reactions

trending

Back