How to feed frozen bloodworms?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GaryNH

Reaction score
I had a betta given to me the other day. The pet store sold me frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I opened up one of the squares of bloodworms and dropped part of it in the tank. The thing expanded to about a million of them!

A. Do you feed them one or two at a time or by the bunch
B. I have to clean the leftovers out?
C. Can I keep the open, defrosted squares for feeding on later days?

FYI, I have a two gallon tank with an Eclipse filter on it.

I've tried pellets but he spits them out. Have tried the Betta flakes but he pretty much ignores them. He does seem to like the freeze dried bloodworms.

Suggestions?

Gary

Hi Gary.

I usually just dip the piece in long enough to release as much as I think my fish will eat, and the rest goes down the drain. (I only have a handful of tetras, so the same goes for live brine shrimp---could never make it through the bag.)

Overfeeding can, in time, pollute the tank.

I don't think you can keep the defrosted ones, but we'll have to see what someone else says.

Sorry, I'm sure this is not much help.

And Welcome. :)

Thanks! Appreciate the tip and the welcome. Used to raise fish years back and got away from it. My wife brought the Betta home last week, and tonight my neighbor calls and offers me a free 30 gal, w/UGF, powerheads, stand and all the fixings. Guess I'm getting back into it!

Regards and thanks again!

Gary

Wow! Good deal!!

What kind of fish you thinkin' of keeping?

Hi Gary, I just got back into keeping fish my self after 10 years, when the bug bites it bites good. About the frozen blood worms I normal break or cut the block into a size that they would eat in one session, while it is still frozen and just keep the rest in the freezer that way I do not have any waste. I then let it defrost for a while in a sauser and slowly add them untill they stop feeding. This way one greedy bugger will not end up eating one big chunk and leaving nothing for the rest. Hope this helps, good luck with the new tank.

Thanks for all of the replys! Good info from all. My wife picked up the frozen packs and they did defrost about halfway on the trip home. Should still be OK to re-freeze?

I did Fancy Guppies before and am thinking about them again. Actually were mixed tanks but I focussed on the Fancies.

Tanks a good deal but it's still operating and he plans to move it to me with the UGF bacteria bed intact. Easier for me but I don't want to inherit any problems and am not sure I don't want to restart with an Eclipse or Penguin style filter. His fish are healthy enough and he is transferring them to his new setup before I get the tank.

Hi Great Lakes, yup, New Hampshire.

Thanks again to all. I'll be having more questions, I'm sure!

Gary

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back