How to extend cabling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
F

FF_Guest1439

Hello, So as is normal I got an external filter that's lead isn't very long. It goes into an extension tower, along with the rest. My question is, is there a way to extend the lead that would go into an extension tower, safety?? I'm trying to find ways I can move my tower away from my tank (Till I get a proper cabinet) but this also goes for any cable that's too short, that I can extend to go into an extension tower that plugs into the wall.

The safest way is to replace the whole length of cable. Do not use anything lighter than what was originally used.
Alternatively you can wire in Wieland connectors. (A type of connection used a lot in IT.)
The are also connection blocks that have an exterior case, some have a gel to make them waterproof.

DO NOT use terminal blocks (Choc blocks) that you find in a strip and wrap in tape.

You can't replace the power cable on most power filters because the electrical side of the filter's motor is sealed in a plastic resin. You also void the warranty.

The safest way is a short extension cord (1meter, 2 meter or whatever is needed).

Invest in a multisocket with a long cable, or one with a short cable and get an extension lead.
Something like this;

There's a cheaper one with only a 2m cable attached.

Invest in a multisocket with a long cable, or one with a short cable and get an extension lead.
Something like this;

There's a cheaper one with only a 2m cable attached.
We’ve 20+ of those bagged up in the shed. 45 yrs in the construction industry and having once owned a 500yr old house played a part in their appearence.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back