How To Do Amano Shrimp Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chas, if you succeed, let me know, I could fancy some more amanos.

I've never heard of the fancy amanos... what color are they?

Fancy amanos are plaid.
smart.gif

So I've got 3 females carrying eggs at the moment and think I might give this a try soon. They carry eggs for 4-5 weeks I've heard, so that should be enough time for me to get my sponge filter cycled in main tank ready to use for the shrimp hatchery.

For the tank I'm thinking of buying a 5-10 gallon plastic storage container, as they are cheap and if this doesn't work I can throw it away.

I'll try the method I posted above, I'll get the filter on Friday and get that set up in my community tank. I have a spare light and heater I can use in there too so just need to buy the container when the time comes.

For the green water I was thinking of buying 500ml of super concentrated phytoplankton from my LFS, mixing this with more water and leaving in the sun to multiply further. If it doesn't work I'll just get a few litres of the stuff instead.

Fingers crossed it works, and if the survival rate is high I hope some of you guys want some shrimps as I've heard they can lay over 1000 each spawn lol

One thing I should note from my own attempt to breed amanos... taking the female out into her own little quarantine tank resulted in her dropping all the eggs before they were ready to hatch, possibly a stress thing? Even though she had another shrimp for company and places to hide. They're damn hard to catch too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back