How to disinfect your cartridge?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a new tank and Iā€™ll be splitting half of my fish community from my 55g to my new 75g tank. Iā€™ll quarantine and treat them with general cure for possible worms before moving them to the 75g. Unfortunately, I thought placing the filter/cartridge of the 75g in the 55g was a good idea so it could catch some beneficial bacteria and make the cycle quicker. But by doing this I risked the possibility of carrying any worm eggs or some type of parasites..how do I fix this? Do I deep the whole filter in Clorox or do I take it out and it it dry out for a few days? Also, can you guys take a look at my previous post please.

What? If your fish didn't have parasites then theres no need to treat for parasites
I canā€™t tell if they do or not, but I havenā€™t got any fryā€™s from my mollies since last summer so thereā€™s a possibility that they have internal parasites.

They might be old mollies or they just havenā€™t bred how many times have they spawned. Mollies can hold sperm for a few months and get pregnant around 2-3 more times with thatā€™s sperm if Iā€™m not mistaken!

In the thread on mollies Colin is guiding you so I will stay out of the possible "disease" issue.

As for how to disinfect a filter...the housing only can be washed with a bleach/water dilution, then rinsed (under the tap) a few times, then left to fully air dry.

Filter media cannot be "disinfected" and should always be discarded if you think it might hold some pathogen. The porous media likle foam/sponge and bio rocks, carbon, whatever, can be rinsed under the tap but these substances absorb (adsorb in the case of carbon) substances and there is no way to thoroughly ensure they are gone. Never soak them in any bleach or similar liquid as they will absorb this and it can leech out.

Many aquarists will never transfer objects from one tank to another even if all seem healthy. I do not go this far, unless I know tank "x" has "y" problem, but it demonstrates the risks of doing it.

You should never treat the tank, if you don't know if they have parasites or not.

What are their symptoms?

You should never treat the tank, if you don't know if they have parasites or not.

What are their symptoms?
Why shouldn't you treat for parasites? I always de-worm new fish in quarantine. Then they can't infect the other fish.

You can deworm fish in quarantine tanks and that is something I always did.

There's no need to add any other chemicals though unless the fish have a disease. But deworming fish in quarantine is fine and everyone should do it.

On a side note, deworming fish usually kills gill flukes too. :)

Why shouldn't you treat for parasites? I always de-worm new fish in quarantine. Then they can't infect the other fish.
I meant I see no point in treating the whole tank. If you have fish in QT then definitely treat them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back