How to disinfect aquarium equipment such as nets

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Matt.has.fish

Reaction score
I really need to clean/ disinfect my aquarium nets and Iā€™m not to sure on how to exactly do it. Iā€™ve heard using really hot water and bleach in like 10:1 ratio, then dechlorinating it. I need to the proper way to do it, any recommendations?

Bleach solution would work, followed by several rinsings under the tap (fresh water, never mind dechlorinator, no benefit with the bleach), then completely air dry.

Stores here usually use a pail of what looks like methylene blue in which the nets sit between uses. I've no idea how effective either really is, depending upon the problem.

I clean with bleach. A few tablespoons in a sink of warm water. Let it soak then rinse really well with clean water. Instructions I followed said to do final rinse in water with Seachem Prime so I do that as a final precaution. Not sure why @Byron feels it does no good with chlorine bleach. Anyway, works for me. :)

I clean with bleach. A few tablespoons in a sink of warm water. Let it soak then rinse really well with clean water. Instructions I followed said to do final rinse in water with Seachem Prime so I do that as a final precaution. Not sure why @Byron feels it does no good with chlorine bleach. Anyway, works for me. :)

I do not believe a dechlorinator will detoxify bleach, but even if it did, it would only be effective for a short period. Whereas thorough rinsing under the tap gets most of the bleach out (maybe all) and air drying completes this.

I do know that if you spill bleach on the bathroom carpet then immediately pour neat dechlorinator onto the spillage, it stops the carpet being bleached and removes all trace of the smell of chlorine ;)

I do know that if you spill bleach on the bathroom carpet then immediately pour neat dechlorinator onto the spillage, it stops the carpet being bleached and removes all trace of the smell of chlorine ;)
I do not believe a dechlorinator will detoxify bleach, but even if it did, it would only be effective for a short period. Whereas thorough rinsing under the tap gets most of the bleach out (maybe all) and air drying completes this.
If that were the case then it would only temporarily detoxify the chlorine in our tanks.

If that were the case then it would only temporarily detoxify the chlorine in our tanks.

That may be, I've no idea how Prime deals with chlorine, I don't/won't use it.

The various types of sodium breaks down the chemical bonds in chloramine and releases the ammonia and absorbs the chlorine and makes it harmless' Amine Salt breaks down/absorbs the ammonia. There are also other chemical in water conditioner depending on brand but it's all about breaking chemical bonds and forming new ones.

bleach will cause metal handle fish nets to rust.

if you have a freshwater aquarium, then get a plastic storage container or bucket that can hold the nets and other equipment. fill the bucket with tapwater and add heaps and heaps of salt. add so much salt it no longer dissolves. then put the nets and equipment into the salt water and leave it there for a few hours, then rinse with fresh water..
salt will also cause metal handle fish nets to rust but nowhere near as quickly as bleach does.

if you have a salt water aquarium, put the nets into freshwater for a few hours.

you can also wash them with warm soapy water, then rinse well with tap water and let dry for 24 hours.

I havenā€™t had any of my nets rust but it may be because they have a rubber coating on them. I donā€™t leave them in long either.

I really need to clean/ disinfect my aquarium nets and Iā€™m not to sure on how to exactly do it. Iā€™ve heard using really hot water and bleach in like 10:1 ratio, then dechlorinating it. I need to the proper way to do it, any recommendations?
I use bleach in small amounts all the time then rinse in clean water an then I keep a few jugs of distilled water just for cleaning nets an other tool.for my tank. You can also dip it in boiling water for few seconds an that's all need do as long it's something with stand the heat.

For me, the quickest and safest way is to put the net in a small container/pail and pour hot water on it. Let it soak for a few minutes.
If you don't need to use the net immediately, just pour out the hot water and let the net and container/pail dry under the sun. Keep them after they dry.

Most reactions

Back