How to correctly introduce valisneria and ludwigia into rift lake cichlid tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Iā€™ve ordered these two plants to add to my rift lake tank. Any particular way to introduce? I donā€™t know much about these plants really.

Are they to be planted into substrate or in rocks?

How much light do they need?

Do they need any plant food?

Anything else I need to know

Both into substrate, light isnt too much of an issue for either, a fertiliser wouldnt hurt but not one that contains nitrate.

Biggest risk is they get dug up which is pretty likely in this tank, maybe try and work out a way to put rocks around the base of where you plant.

Wills

Both into substrate, light isnt too much of an issue for either, a fertiliser wouldnt hurt but not one that contains nitrate.

Biggest risk is they get dug up which is pretty likely in this tank, maybe try and work out a way to put rocks around the base of where you plant.

Wills

Okay thanks, may seem like a stupid question but

Just move the substrate on the floor, put the plant in, the put substrate back over?

Typically the crown of the plant should not be buried as the plant will rot (Vals). I grow some with my Geos, placing them in a pot can help. Covering the immediate area around the plant with flat stones to keep them from being dug up until there roots are strong enough to hold also works. You will have a couple inevitably float to the surface as fish are tenacious. Once they get established they will be able to handle even the most vigorous excavators.

I would put them on a plate, with some salad dressing on the side... mbuna and soft plants? I hope it works, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would put them on a plate, with some salad dressing on the side... mbuna and soft plants? I hope it works, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Well I have a journal so Iā€™ll be posting there with the results lol

I would put them on a plate, with some salad dressing on the side...
Agree, LOL
I have been keeping Africans for a couple of years now, even though most research and keepers have little to no success with plants. I have tried quite a few times.
1. They will uproot them, even with a rock barriers.
2. They will snack on them
I may try again using pots ?

Good Luck

I have been able to put in tough leafed plants with rhizomes (Anubias - yes Australians say they they are not for tanks, Bolbitis, etc). The mbuna will attack the leaves, but quickly lose interest and just graze any algae. They demolished valls. It wasn't uprooting, it was demolition. Every mbuna is a food processor set for vegetable matter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back