How to cool down my fresh water tank in hot days?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jean1984

Reaction score
Good day,

I ordered 3 cooling fans from amazon as I notice my freshwater fish tank water is getting quite hot in hot days. I have also a fan in my room constantly blowing on the glass.

All I have in my 20 gallon fresh water tank is sunburst wag platy which reproduce like crazy.

Should I also turn my heater off to help lower the temperature of my water?

Thank you!

Good day,

I ordered 3 cooling fans from amazon as I notice my freshwater fish tank water is getting quite hot in hot days. I have also a fan in my room constantly blowing on the glass.

All I have in my 20 gallon fresh water tank is sunburst wag platy which reproduce like crazy.

Should I also turn my heater off to help lower the temperature of my water?

Thank you!
Don't turn the heater off, if the temp is above what you set it to it will not be on anyway.

Could you tell us what temperatures you are seeing? Sometimes it being too warm for a period of time is not a huge issue, but we do need to know the temp before we can really advise.

The temp you keep the tank at, and also the high temp you are seeing.

Don't turn the heater off, if the temp is above what you set it to it will not be on anyway.

Could you tell us what temperatures you are seeing? Sometimes it being too warm for a period of time is not a huge issue, but we do need to know the temp before we can really advise.

The temp you keep the tank at, and also the high temp you are seeing.
Hi,

The high temperature is 27 degrees roughly and the temperature I would like to have is between 22 to 23 degrees. I am waiting for cooling fans I should get next week. It should lower it to 2 to 4 degrees which will be ideal for what I am looking for!

That is a little high, as you know, but not really dangerous. I personally keep mine at 24, but I wouldn't be too concerned with 27 degrees for a couple of weeks.

At this point I'd say to just keep things as they are until your fans arrive, they will come to no harm until then.

That is a little high, as you know, but not really dangerous. I personally keep mine at 24, but I wouldn't be too concerned with 27 degrees for a couple of weeks.

At this point I'd say to just keep things as they are until your fans arrive, they will come to no harm until then.
It goes high daytime but cool down at night time because temperature are cooling off. Glad to hear. My sunburst wag platies reproduce like crazy and seems to be happy with all the seachem products I am using.

27C is not a problem for tropical fishes, especially if it's only for a few months each year.

If you raise the light unit above the tank and have more space between the light and the water, the tank should be a bit cooler.

Agree with Colin.

About those fans...remember that the water temperature in the aquarium will be equal to the air temperature in the room, except when you specifically heat the water (or somehow cool it).

Rising temp during the warmer day, lowering temp during the cooler night...this is fine, it is a natural change and usually safe (methods to "cool" the water like floating ice and water changes are more harmful than beneficial). Make sure there is good surface disturbance to ensure oxygen in the warmer water.

Agree with Colin.

About those fans...remember that the water temperature in the aquarium will be equal to the air temperature in the room, except when you specifically heat the water (or somehow cool it).

Rising temp during the warmer day, lowering temp during the cooler night...this is fine, it is a natural change and usually safe (methods to "cool" the water like floating ice and water changes are more harmful than beneficial). Make sure there is good surface disturbance to ensure oxygen in the warmer water.
Thanks.

Well I have cooling fans ordered from Amazon in case the water gets too hot. I do have a 20 gallons filter and an additional air bubbler in my 20 gallons tank which I am sure it give enough oxygen to my water.....

How do I know I have enough oxygen in my water on hot days?

Thanks.

Well I have cooling fans ordered from Amazon in case the water gets too hot. I do have a 20 gallons filter and an additional air bubbler in my 20 gallons tank which I am sure it give enough oxygen to my water.....

How do I know I have enough oxygen in my water on hot days?
If you have an airstone (bubbler) running in the tank, then it will be plenty oxygenated, no worries :) The platies will also be fine at 27 degrees :)

The fans need to blow across the surface of the water to work. Blowing on the glass won't do any thing. If air blows across the water surface, it will evaporate some water which will cool the tank very slightly.

As has been mentioned fans don't actually cool your room or the temperature of the water (except in an example I will get to later). So your water temp will be unable to drop below your rooms ambient temperature.

Now there are ways to drop the temp of something and that is the process we use when we sweat (evaporation). Blowing the fans on the water as mentioned above would do very little as the evaporation rate wouldn't be increased enough to offset the amount of water you have. The best way to do it is to have the water being sprayed or misted on the return to the tank. This would allow for the water to be in a quantity that would encourage more evaporation to happen. Now even with the method above or even if you went with a swamp cooler style setup (water flowing through something with a fan on it) it would still take a lot of it to make a big difference in your tank temps and/or even room temps. The only real way to solve this issue is to lower your ambient room temp via something like an AC unit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back