how to cook fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kim jon

Reaction score
i've got some japanese friends coming to visit, and want to try cooking them some fish in my oven. i don't eat fish myself, so i'm not exactly an expert at cooking it. i want to try cooking on wet cedar shakes, as was discussed in and old thread from the yahoo archives, but am hoping for some more specific advice from someone more seasoned in this department.

will the wood plank method work well for salmon? how thin should the pieces of flesh be? what temperature is optimal, and how well done should it be? (this last question is a matter of taste i suppose, since they are quite used to eating it raw).

any advice much appreciated.

Umm, I hope you don't take offense but, this forum is for people who keep aquariums with pet fish. I don't think this is the best place to ask how to cook fish. ;)

Cedar is great for salmon!

A maple barbecue glaze over the fillets would go perfect with this as well.

Its done when it flakes with a fork, shouldnt take long to cook at all. A nice serving portion would be about 4-5 inches long depending on the thickness of the meat. Leave the skin on if its still there. This keeps the meat softer and the good fats are in the skin

(I keep pet fish, but im a major fish eater, particularly raw sashimi, or cooked eel. Eel is delicious)

Cedar is great for salmon!

A maple barbecue glaze over the fillets would go perfect with this as well.

Its done when it flakes with a fork, shouldnt take long to cook at all. A nice serving portion would be about 4-5 inches long depending on the thickness of the meat. Leave the skin on if its still there. This keeps the meat softer and the good fats are in the skin

(I keep pet fish, but im a major fish eater, particularly raw sashimi, or cooked eel. Eel is delicious)
I agree although I usually dont use wood. But in general cedar is one of the best.

It really depends on your tastes. I, personally, would do a spice rub or use just salt. A lemon drizzle at the end always makes a nice finish though.

Correct. There is no specific time amount. I'd cook it at 350. I agree to leave the skin on and serve it with the skin on. You can make a mess of trying to take it off before you serve. Make sure not to serve it only partly cooked. That is a big no no.

SAME!!!! (although im more of a sushi person myself)

Umm, I hope you don't take offense but, this forum is for people who keep aquariums with pet fish. I don't think this is the best place to ask how to cook fish. ;)

I don't think it's a sin to talk eating fish on a fish keeping forum at all. I'd be willing to bet we have a lot of folks here who love to eat fish and enjoy fishing, including catch and cook. I, myself, love catching and eating fish every bit as much as I enjoy my aquariums.

I know I'm late to the party, but salmon can be a tricky fish to cook. USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, but most people will find that to be overcooked. Those with experience cooking a proper piece of salmon will tell you to shoot for 125-130°F and a 5 minute rest period. Remember, like a steak, it will continue to cook for several minutes after it's removed from heat.

I prefer my salmon served sashimi style, though.

I don't think it's a sin to talk eating fish on a fish keeping forum at all. I'd be willing to bet we have a lot of folks here who love to eat fish and enjoy fishing, including catch and cook. I, myself, love catching and eating fish every bit as much as I enjoy my aquariums.

I didn't mean it like that. There's nothing wrong with eating fish. I eat it myself. What I meant was that the OP might get more help on a cooking forum rather than a fish keeping forum.

Certainly! Cooking fish on cedar planks is a fantastic method, especially for salmon. Soak the cedar planks in water for at least 1-2 hours to prevent them from catching fire in the oven. This step also imparts a subtle cedar flavor to the salmon.
Now, if you're looking to try something different, consider experimenting with an unconventional twist—how about incorporating instant pot chicken wings into your culinary repertoire? The cedar plank method can be adapted for chicken wings as well, providing a unique and aromatic flavor profile.

To prepare instant pot chicken wings with a cedar plank flair, start by marinating the wings in a zesty blend of spices, olive oil, and perhaps a hint of garlic. Let the flavors mingle for at least 30 minutes to allow the wings to absorb the marinade.

Last edited:
Good salmon has excellent flavour. I would avoid strong flavored sauces or rubs so that the real salmon flavour comes out. I find cooking with the skin on the best, makes the salmon moister and adds to the flavor, plus your guests might want to eat the skin, I always do. Cedar planks is a good way to go. If you get a whole fish with the head on don't forget about the cheeks, it is a small section of meat just below the eye and behind the jaws, it is some of the best tasting meat on the fish, not big (size of a quarter) but very good. You can use a fillet knife to carve out the cheeks.

Most reactions

trending

Back