how to convince my parents to let me get another tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
@PheonixKingZ Yeah, I agree. And I dont really have any experience with them. Its easier to observe how a store bought betta reacts to its native enviorment than a wild betta
That is actually a really good experiment. I am very interested to see how this turns out! If....your parents let you of course, did you ask them yet? :)

You could always culture infusoria, daphnia or rotifers for the experiment.
Have a number of containers set up with them in and see which does better.
Container A, which contains green water.
Container B, which contains infusoria.
Container C, which is fed dry yeast.
Container D, which contains just water.

The following link has info on culturing live foods.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

I think he wanted to do a betta though. This would be a good choice, if his parents said no to getting another tank. ^ :)

There was a post on here somewhere that talked about getting their Betta's from Thailand, which is ultimately cool, and you guys are talking about wild caught Betta's. How would you even know who to ask about this let alone actually acquire them ? It really would be awesome.

Okay to reply to Pheonix my parents are warming slightly on the subject!

Also thanks @Fishmanic for the link!

Also @Back in the fold I have two options. 1 get a wild betta and observe it, 2 get a store bought betta and watch how it reacts to a biotype. My other bettas live with live plants in normal water. I sometimes put oak leaves in there to create tannins, but mainly its just plants. So this biotype, a recreation of thailand would be different from anything the bettas experienced

I asked about doing this, and they said no........so.............

If you want to speed up production of tannins, boil the leaves for a half hour in a clean (no soap residue) 1 quart pot filled with water. The water will turn very brown. Add the water and the leaves to your cycled tank water and voila...loads of instant tannins.

tank price increased $3 on walmart site...still a great deal!

If you want to speed up production of tannins, boil the leaves for a half hour in a clean (no soap residue) 1 quart pot filled with water. The water will turn very brown. Add the water and the leaves to your cycled tank water and voila...loads of instant tannins.

tank price increased $3 on walmart site...still a great deal!

Ooooo thanks! Will do!

Will the light be bright enough? Also will the filter be too strong? @Fishmanic
I have the same tank as @Fishmanic, And let me tell you, for the price, it is a very good deal. The light is OK, and if you wanted to do sort of a Thailand rice field imitation, then this sort of dull light will work. The filter is adjustable, and is a very soft flow when turned all the way down. If you still have doubts, then just a small piece of panty hose over the intake. (Which is at the bottom. ;))

I have the filter on the highest setting for flow and it still is not too strong. it does not cause my betta to be pushed around the tank..it's perfect in my opinion. I did take out the original cartridge and installed my own sponge (from a cycled tank). It is a sponge that came with an aqua clear filter. You will hardly ever have to replace the sponge..just rinse and squeeze it out in tank water few weeks. The lighting is perfect for low light plants such as annubias or java fern. Adding tannins will give a more "natural" appearance and the Betta prefers low lighting. You can't beat the price for this setup for a glass tank with accessories.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back