how to convince my parents to let me get another tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, this year I am supposed to due a science experiment. I decided on how a store bought betta would react in the bettas natural environment. I decided I would create a 5.5 gallon natural set up, complete with indian almond leaves, plants similar to the ones in thailand and have it be slightly shallow, with some kind of floater. However my parents say if I want to do this i have to take down one of my existing tanks which I can't do. They said they don't want me to have another fish tank. So how do I convince them?

Thanks!

@PheonixKingZ @AJE

LOL, a I had this problem ALL the time with my parents when I was younger. As long as you can pay for it, and you are going to take care of it, why do they care? (Obviously don’t say it like that.)

I would just politely go up and ask them....”Mom, Dad, I need this tank for a science experiment (make sure to say that, parents love it when their kids do science projects, lol). I will pay for everything, and you guys won’t even know it’s there!

This might, or might not work, depending on your parents. :)

I think I'll try that approach. But first I'll get rid of my plant jars that way they can't say "well what about those darn jars" I grow floating plants in jars

I don't think parents have changed much over the years. What always worked for me was playing up what a studious and responsible lad I was. Tell them plain that they should fall down and be thankful that you are not a drug addled juvenile delinquent. That you always bring honor to the family. And for good measure throw in that you will be a doting son in their twilight years who will see to all their needs. Talk yourself up kid. Advertise the greatest son ever. You ! And if that fails tell them you only want an aquarium and not a Charles Manson tattoo on your forehead.

I think I'll try that approach. But first I'll get rid of my plant jars that way they can't say "well what about those darn jars" I grow floating plants in jars
Sounds like a good choice, good luck, and I hope they say yes!

Lol, @Back in the fold, parents have not changed over the years....:lol:

Or you could do some fake sobbing ..... sobbing always helps gets some pity...
When I was a young teenager around 13, I had a chance to get a free cat. My dad said no. My mom suggested I get tearful and act sad and ask him again. It worked. He then allowed me to get the cat.

I think that’s a great science project.

Last edited:
Or you could do some fake sobbing ..... sobbing always helps gets some pity...
When I was a young teenager around 13, I had a chance to get a free cat. My dad said no. My mom suggested I get tearful and act sad and ask him again. It worked. He then allowed me to get the cat.

I think that’s a great science project.
My Dad would probably trust me, as far as he could throw me, if I tried that, lol. :lol:

I don't think parents have changed much over the years. What always worked for me was playing up what a studious and responsible lad I was. Tell them plain that they should fall down and be thankful that you are not a drug addled juvenile delinquent. That you always bring honor to the family. And for good measure throw in that you will be a doting son in their twilight years who will see to all their needs. Talk yourself up kid. Advertise the greatest son ever. You ! And if that fails tell them you only want an aquarium and not a Charles Manson tattoo on your forehead.

I tried the "not a juvenile delinquent" a few times. Once it sorta worked, and the other times my mom said I wasn't a delinquent because she hadn't raised me to be a delinquent, I then said that if I wanted to be a delinquent or a school drop out I could. Oof that didn't end well ;)

And you can also tell her all the club members think that a science project of a natural betta tank is a great idea. And tell her a 5 gallon tank and a heater would only cost $40 delivered from walmart. You dont need a larger tank for one betta. Look for the Aqua Culture glass tank on Walmart’s site. Tank comes with filter and hood and led light for $30. Heater is around $10 extra. Of course the betta would cost about $10 to $20 or so depending on type.

Tell her the tank would be very small and weighs less than 50 pounds including water once all set up.

Last edited:
I also think your project might be better in a 20 long.
And where's that western independence that Wyoming is known for ? Your folks shouldn't care what you do so long as the chores are done and you're not rustling cattle.

I thought briefly about a ten gallon tank, but that would be too much. For the experiment I have decided that I'm going to create a natural enviorment and see how a store betta reacts

And you can also tell her all the club members think that a science project of a natural betta tank is a great idea. And tell her a 5 gallon tank and a heater would only cost $40 delivered from walmart. You dont need a larger tank for one betta. Look for the Aqua Culture glass tank on Walmart’s site. Tank comes with filter and hood and led light for $30. Heater is around $10 extra. Of course the betta would cost about $10 to $20 or so depending on type.

Tell her the tank would be very small and weighs less than 50 pounds including water once all set up.

could you send me a link? Also thats a good idea. Also I'm using a store bought betta, I decided against a wild betta

Wild bettas are some how more expensive anyways. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back