How To Convert A Tank For Marine?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
Hey peeps, just a quick query, we have a nice 18"x18"x18" tank which works out at 96 litres. It has been an established freshwater tank but times are changing and we are considering marine (again!) It is a nice square tank on a plinth base which has a small limited amount of space underneath. How best to convert this into a marine as we are sorely tempted?

We would need new lighting and possibly to leave the bad plastc lid off, is open air suitable?
Have a heater suitable, filtration wise, we would use live rock, so is it just a skimmer needed? We have a HOB filter for the purpose as well if so? We also have a RO unit, so would our shopping list look like:

1. Skimmer
2. Lighting
3. Salt
4. Hydrometer/Refractometer
5. Coral/Aragonite Sand
6. Live Rock

Any help appreciated as always (always fab!)

I converted an existing freshwater tank into marine recently

I just cleaned it all aout and painted the back with royal blue tile paint from b and q which made the worl of difference especially when the coral sand was added

I got 11 kilos of live rock and a koralia powerhead to provide the flow. I understand you can run without the skimmer but it helps if you can

test kits are an essential purchase and a refractometer to test the sg. RO water added then off you go to give it the lengthy cycle

llight wise I think you can get T5 light ballasts which would rest on the tank edges and allow the tubes to be over the tank without a lid. worth a search

your list seems fine but you will need a power head and as above test kits. open top would be fine but you will need to top up the tank with ro water a lot. :good:

Most reactions

Back