How to clean items before adding to tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jim Sinclair

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some food-safe Sterilite plastic containers to put in my basement goldfish pool. How do I safely clean them before putting them in with the fish? These are things that have a lot of holes in them for the fish to swim in and out.

Hi, Jim. I usually just clean in good hot water.

Hi. Thanks for replying. One of the things I got is big (a laundry hamper, which I think will make a nice roomy cave for them), and I'm concerned if I put it in the sink or bathtub to clean, there may be soap or detergent residue. Is there anything safe I could wipe it down with?

You can wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide and a clean rag.

Not all plastic is the same especially in water, I wouldn't use anything that isn't food grade plastic laundry hampers are generally made from lower grade plastics that could leech chemicals into the water.

I bought some food-safe Sterilite plastic containers to put in my basement goldfish pool. How do I safely clean them before putting them in with the fish? These are things that have a lot of holes in them for the fish to swim in and out.

And just a tip - if you need to disinfect anything in the tank/pond such as ornaments you can use a diluted vinegar solution and rinse off thoroughly :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back