The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I bought some driftwood at my lfs today, and I want to make sure it is clean before I put it in the tank. It was in one of their tanks, so it is soaked in their water. It is a very good lfs, and all their fish are healthy, but I don't want to risk introducing some sort of sickness into my aquarium. What would be the best way to make sure it is clean? Should I boil it first?

I bought some driftwood at my lfs today, and I want to make sure it is clean before I put it in the tank. It was in one of their tanks, so it is soaked in their water. It is a very good lfs, and all their fish are healthy, but I don't want to risk introducing some sort of sickness into my aquarium. What would be the best way to make sure it is clean? Should I boil it first?
In the past ive boiled the wood and then baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour or two. Putting it in the oven will dry it out. Dont use any chemicals like bleach, no soap obviously. Keep in mind boiling and baking will break the wood fibers down a bit and may cause it to release more tannins in the water which will darken and lower ph of water. Can soak wood in a bucket of dechlorinated water after baking if its leaching a lot of tannins. The short boil and oven bake should kill any nasties that could be on it. Good luck.
Ive heard of some people using vinegar but im not familiar with that method.

In the past ive boiled the wood and then baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour or two. Putting it in the oven will dry it out. Dont use any chemicals like bleach, no soap obviously. Keep in mind boiling and baking will break the wood fibers down a bit and may cause it to release more tannins in the water which will darken and lower ph of water. Can soak wood in a bucket of dechlorinated water after baking if its leaching a lot of tannins. The short boil and oven bake should kill any nasties that could be on it. Good luck.
Ive heard of some people using vinegar but im not familiar with that method.

Okay, thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back