How To Clean A 5 Gallon Fish Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GrahamBuck

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Recently I posted a topic asking what fish I should put in my one gallon fish bowl, and all the answers insisted I get at least a five gallon tank for my next betta fish. I would be totally okay with purchasing a five gallon fish tank, but I'm not sure how to clean a tank that big! I would really appreciate advice on how to clean a five gallon fish tank. Thanks!
smile.png

5 gallons is quite small, maybe you should get a 10 gal and have a betta with live plants? It would look nice and plants help with water quality. But idk I'm not an expert. I have a 50L tank and I use a siphon and a bucket to clean it

The five should be ok for the betta, its best to have a type of gravel cleaner.
What do you plan on doing for filtration? 

I didn't plan on doing anything for filteration. My last betta survived for about a year in that small one gallon tank with no heating or filteration.

You need filtration and heating for a betta, 5 second google will tell you this.

All fish should be in filtered tanks, really, unless you want to do large, daily water changes. Bettas ought to live a lot longer than a year.

I use a 4-5 foot chunk of air line to syphon the water out of my 5.5 gal it works well.
If you get a tank kit from the LFS it will come with a filter so all you have to do is set it up :)

You don't have to have the filtration, but weekly water changes are necessary.  You have to have heating though. 

bluesword23516 said:
You don't have to have the filtration, but weekly water changes are necessary.  You have to have heating though.
Sorry but I would disagree there is not any stable way of heating a tank without a heater and the ups and downs of relaying on a house temp to keep it worm will take a toll on the fishes health.
Sorry I meant the filtration is needed in that small of a tank my bad lol

While a betta does not "require" filtration, in a tank of 5 gallons or larger it is recommended to go ahead and filter it.  If you do not filter it then 100% water changes need to be done every 2 days at least.  If filtered with a cycled filter, weekly water changes of 25% or there about are fine in a tank of that size.  A heater is required to keep a stable water temperature of at least 78F.  

Just because your previous betta lived a year in the setup you had him in does not mean it was good or actually working.  Surviving is not thriving.  Bettas should be able to live more than a year even if bought from a pet shop at around a year old.

You said it in your first post "My last betta survived for about a year"
Excactly ! Yes they may survive without filtration or heaters but surviving and having a happy life are two different things.
A sponge filter for a 5 or 10 G will cost you about $5. Hardly a fortune and Your fish is a living creature it shouldn't be forced just to survive for the sake of you spending $5

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll get the tank a heater and filter, but I still need to know how to clean it!

You need a 'gravel cleaner'; like this; 

You put the wide end in the tank. Then you start a syphon; either by sucking on the end of the tube, or by immersing the whole thing in the tank until it's full of water and put the end of the narrow pipe in a bucket you have on the floor.

There are loads of 'how to' videos on YouTube
smile.png

It is very simple; just difficult to explain in words!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back