How to choose a platy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This month I intend to buy 12 Platys, three males and nine females.

I haven't decided on a color morph yet, all I know is that I won't be buying balloon platys.

I was hoping to get a list of what to look for in my fish and what to avoid as I am aware that livebearers can come with a heap of genetic deformities.

DO you think livebearers really come with a heap of genetic deformities, what kind of problems have you had in the past?

DO you think livebearers really come with a heap of genetic deformities, what kind of problems have you had in the past?
I'm exaggerating a bit, but I have seen them come with crooked spines, misshaped fins etc. often in pet stores. I'm only getting into livebearers now.

My experience up till now has been with breeding Ancistrus, Corydoras, Angelfish, Mystery Snails, and loads of shrimp. I've only been in the hobby three years, and have decided that I want to try line breeding some Guppys and I want a breeding colony of Platys in a large tank with an angelfish pair.

I am aware of hardness issues, my water is on the hard side and the angelfish pair were locally breed in our water and have been raised with six other angels by me for the past six months until they formed a pair.

first do not go to a pet shop and pick the first lot of platys that you see you will need to visit many pet shops to find the best quality fish many of the fish are sick and diseased sadly many people believe it's down to genetics, there are many types of guppys

first do not go to a pet shop and pick the first lot of platys that you see you will need to visit many pet shops to find the best quality fish many of the fish are sick and diseased sadly many people believe it's down to genetics, there are many types of guppys
are you looking for anything special when it comes to guppy's

I have a very good LFS about an hour away (not so local) will be able to get very good quality Platys from them.

About guppys, that's a bit complicated in my country. A large percentage of special strains are bred here in Israel at Colors Farm. But the thing is, they largely export to other countries. What my LFS can get from them is usually only males (that's how they keep their monopoly as I understand).

Guppies? I thought we were discussing platies. I would not get that many as they breed like rabbits. If you get 2 males and 4 females your tank will be full of fry in a month.

Guppies? I thought we were discussing platies. I would not get that many as they breed like rabbits. If you get 2 males and 4 females your tank will be full of fry in a month.

Yes talking about platys too, wondering how to choose one and what to look out for. Got slightly side-tracked.

I would look for colors that are different. I have a beautiful tuxedo with blue eyes. Make sure they are active and no dead fish in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back