How To Change Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Linway

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Basically my filter is driving me bonkers with the noise. When we bought it (it came with the tank) we had read that it could be a little loud but at first that wasn't our experience as it was so silent, however now it's horrifically loud. The tank is in our bedroom and is waking us up at night it gets that loud.

I've ordered a Fluval U2 and I'm would like any advice on how I make the transition between the two?
Do I simply put the new filter in and leave both running for a while?
Do I turn the old one off and have to cycle the tank again?
Do I take the cartridges out of the old one and "scrape" off any bacteria onto the new ones?

I genuinely have no idea lol.

Cheers guys

Take the old media out of the old filter... cut it up as necessary to fit into the new filter and fill the new filter up the rest of the way with whatever other media you want to use.

Then connect the new filter and enjoy.

eaglesaquarium said:
Take the old media out of the old filter... cut it up as necessary to fit into the new filter and fill the new filter up the rest of the way with whatever other media you want to use.

Then connect the new filter and enjoy.
These are the cartridges in my current filter:
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-7800634t300x300.jpg

As you can see (a little in the pic), they have plastic running through them so can't really be cut to shape into other filters >.<

They don't have to 'fit', they just need to be in the filter.

Fill the rest of it out with other media, like floss or a sponge, it will be just fine.

you can bend the filter to snap the plastic where needed and then cut the rest of the filter material with a scissors

I'm going to ask a stupid question. How often did you clean your filter? I have 2 going on 5 years and when I don't clean them monthly they get loud. Just saying that a good wash down May fix your problem instead of replacing. However if you do have to replace your filter +1 to what everyone said. Put the old media in the news filter.

Chaydell said:
I'm going to ask a stupid question. How often did you clean your filter? I have 2 going on 5 years and when I don't clean them monthly they get loud. Just saying that a good wash down May fix your problem instead of replacing. However if you do have to replace your filter +1 to what everyone said. Put the old media in the news filter.
I change 2 of the 4 cartridges every 3-4 weeks and clean the rest of the filter (casing etc) about every 6 weeks. However, I know this isn't anything to do with it being dirty because the noise started the last time I disassembled it for cleaning :p I'm assuming I've been heavy handed with it and broken something somewhere. I've since taken it apart again to try and find the problem but to no avail. Also it gets noisier over time i.e right now it's completely silent but where it vibrates what ever causes the noise moves and gets louder (it woke me again last night around 3am).

So it's basically:
Unpack Fluval U2
Cut current media sponge away from plastic
Fit as much current media inside Fluval 2 with the Fluval 2 media?
Turn Fluval 2 on

Thanks again all. I appreciate the replies! :D

Between the sponge layers of your filter you should have some media either in the form of carbon or a zeolite with ceramitek media, don't discard this either mix it in with the supplied biomax media that comes with your U2 filter and it fits in the central blue cartridge.(I suppose there is also a slim chance that the media cartridge may fit both filters being made by the same company Marina and fluval both owned by a company called Hagen

Also don't forget that your new filter will have biomax ceramic media and this will be a home for your nitrifying bacteria, but also the big sponges will be a home for more good bacteria, so when you come to do any cleaning do little more than a single wringing out of the sponges in old tank water or dechlorinated water to get rid of trapped solid material.

Most reactions

Back