How to calm my betta fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AKalina

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Today a put an angelfish with my betta , the angelfish looks really calm and isn't aggressive but my betta is really scared and he's trying to hide. I'm worrying about him what shoud I do to calm him down.
Sometimes the angelfish tries to get close to him but he just freaks out

Sorry if my english is bad.

Today a put an angelfish with my betta ,

The Betta is terrified and rightly so, the Angel will kill it. The only option is to rehouse the Angel.

How big is the tank.

Put lots of plants in the tank, especially floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroies/ cornuta).

Give the fish a few days to get use to its new companion and then watch them. If the Betta does not settle down or the angelfish picks on him, then move then separate them.

And as Nick said, how big is the tank?
also how big is the angelfish?

The tank is 5 gallon and the angelfish isn't really big I think that the betta is even bigger

This morning when I woke up the betta looked better than the last night he's still hiding and he is still looking scared but not that much . He can stay closer to the angel now and the angel looks very calm.
I dont think that the angel wanna kill him.

Last edited:
I have a 30 gallon tank with two goldfishes is it okay to move the angel there? Cause they are bigger than him.

It's probably just stress from having a new fish in the tank. However, a 5 gallon tank is not really suitable for angelfish as they grow too big to stay in there permanently. The 30 gallon tank would be better but it is not a good idea to mix goldfish with angelfish due to them requiring different water chemistry (goldfish like hard alkaline water and angels like soft acid water), and goldfish being cool water fish, with angels being tropical.
Goldfish can live in warm water and do quite well, but the water chemistry would be the main issue.

If you plan on getting another bigger tank in the future, you could keep the angel with the Betta for a few months, but eventually it will need a bigger tank. If you don't plan on getting another big tank, then perhaps think about returning the angelfish or giving it to someone who has a bigger tank for it. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much. If the next 2-3 days the betta is still scared and hiding I'll move the angel .
Thank you for helping me I really didn't know what to do.
:) <3

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back