How thick should an aquarium mat be?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi! Me again with another question.

So as you might already know, I bought new tank and it’s herrendous (see #6 post of this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/never-buy-a-very-large-glass-aquarium.471179/#post-4042973)

It comes with an aquarium mat which is 3mm thick, and I was wondering if this is okay for the tank that is 24”x12”x15” and is there any rules regarding the styrofoam and mat thickness?
D605881B-48B8-4CA0-8D93-EE2532C9E4BD.jpeg

Do you need a mat? I didnt know these existed what are they for i dont have one
You need a mat for a tank that doesn’t have the black rims on the top and bottom of the tank.

The the type tank @Barry Tetra has, is called a “rim-less” tank, and does not have these rims. The rims act as a protective barrier between the stand and the bare glass.

——

Hi! Me again with another question.

So as you might already know, I bought new tank and it’s herrendous (see #6 post of this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/never-buy-a-very-large-glass-aquarium.471179/#post-4042973)

It comes with an aquarium mat which is 3mm thick, and I was wondering if this is okay for the tank that is 24”x12”x15” and is there any rules regarding the styrofoam and mat thickness?View attachment 134738
I would say as long as the tank isn’t sitting directly on the table, it should be good.

You need a mat for a tank that doesn’t have the black rims on the top and bottom of the tank.

The the type tank @Barry Tetra has, is called a “rim-less” tank, and does not have these rims. The rims act as a protective barrier between the stand and the bare glass.

——

I would say as long as the tank isn’t sitting directly on the table, it should be good.
By a rim do you mean a bit sitting the glass of the table? I dont have that either

Flat bottomed tanks like Barry's need something between the tank and what it's on. Even just a grain of sand trapped under the tank can cause the bottom pane to crack.
Floating bottom tanks, where the glass and/or trim project below the bottom pane, do not need a mat as the bottom pane is not in contact with whatever the tank is on.

If the polystyrene is all one piece, or a few pieces the same thickness, that will do. My 180 litre tank came with a sheet of 1 inch thick polystyrene.

It’s also put there to prevent scratches, and to protect the table/stand.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Barry Tetra. In order to your question, yes that mat is OK, but thicker is always better. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back