how tall is to tall

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

billy_69

Reaction score
my buddy is looking at a 110gal tank its the same size as the 70 and 90 but its 29 inchs tall. wow!!! is this wise or should he try to get a shorter 90. he wants the largest tank but doesnt have the 6 feet needed for the 125. :S

Whats he want to put in it? Surface area is very very important in stocking your tank. Ex you can have more inches of fish in a 20 long than a 20 high. But A small Angel would be happier in the tall. So it kinda depends on your ideas of stocking. I'd go with a smaller tank myself if I didn't have the room. I think $$ wise as well as my personal pref I'm not a fan of Tall. Hope this helps you.
s

Think tank maintainance. My 65 is 24" deep. I'm 6' tall, and to get to the bottom, especially in the back gets your armpit mighty wet. 3 more inches would be getting pretty close to chin depth.

I guess your buddy could always get some snorkel gear.

Tolak

When you can't reach the bottom to vacumn clean even when your bending over.... :rofl: Edit, damn! You beat me to it Tolak!! lol Atleast you're 6 ft, I'm not quite five and mine is on a dresser, I have to use a stepladder...

My thirty gallon is 24 inches high. It's harder to light, but still... I'd tell him to get it, think about it, that's a thirty gallon difference between the 90 and the 110. I imagine if you had plenty of airation going on at the surface you could make up for it, I've seen a lot of tanks with dead spaces of water on the surface that were long tanks and they didn't have the problems, so I can't see why extra disturbance at the surface wouldn't work. :dunno:

You should try to go for width more than height, it increases the surafec area more as well as increasing the useful volume as apposed to increasing height.

i can't fit in a 125 5ft in easily so getting a 4x2x2, and i might even go a tad wider, not sure yet, (depends how many ££ is adds on :lol: )

but 30inch tall is very tall, my other tank is 2ft deep and 32inch wide i have to use a litle stall to get the maintenance done properly, and as the stand stands at waist height when i'm about 5'7" (i think) i have to stand on tip toes to reach the bottom of the tank just at the front!!

Most reactions

Back