How strong should the stand be

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nyte

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon take right now housing an old old bearded dragon. When he's gone :byebye: I'm going to convert his tank into an aquarium. Right now I have one of those metal cheap stands and I assume this isn't strong enough. But then again why would they sell something like that if it couldn't handle the weight?

Anywho, my question is... Do you think it's strong enough or should I go with something wood?

I'm trying to be as cheap as possible. Cheapest stand I've found around here (Ontario, north of Toronto) was 180 before tax at big als. Also got a quote from a friend of a friend for 500!!! Gah!

What do you think?

I realize that much :) lol Thanks though! Just trying to figure out if the metal stand would be sufficient or if I should go for wood.

Check out http://garf.org/
Look under the DIY Pages folder. Wood ones you buy from a shop are usually built crappy, unless you spend tall dollars. I built a nice one for my 65 for around $100.

The metal stand you are talking about will probably hold if it was built for an aquarium. What are the dimensions of the metal?

Tolak

If they sell the stand for a 90g aqaurium, it'll hold a 90g aquarium.

If you want to build your own, do some research first. I would suggest cinder blocks. If you care about the looks, go with 4x4 support, then 2x4's and plywood.

--Dan

My concern would be that some lame pet store would sell the stand for keeping reptiles, not thinking someone in the future may want to fill the "tank" with water.

Ever take a look at how some lfs stands are built? 1x4 construction, pressed wood, it's scary. I wouldn't sit on them, much less put a full aquarium in them!

4x4 construction is way overkill. My 65 is all 2x4 construction, as are the racks for the tanks in the fishroom.

Tolak

Personally if I were to build a stand for a large aquarium I would do so out of standard 2x6 lumber. The key really though is in design more so than material. Remember screws are designed to hold something in place, not to hold weight. So be sure that your cross supports (the boards that run parallel to the tank are stacked on top of the legs, not screwed into. They should also run vertical (so that when you look straight at them you see the 6" side not the 2"). You may also want to add some angled supports. Nothing could be worse than to build the stand, do preliminary tests, set up your tank... then watch the whole thing just sort of lean to the side then crash on the floor. If properly planned and built a design like this can be safely constructed for around $40 US.

Also when I read "Just trying to figure out if the metal stand would be sufficient or if I should go for wood" I sort of stumbled. Simply because metal is extremely strong when compared to wood. a 2" piece of angle iron is several times stronger than 2x4 or 2x6. Also a weld in metal is incomparably stronger than two boards screwed together. Before you invest in anything I would suggest shopping around for some metal stands that are definitely built for water filled aquariums and closely inspect their construction (note the welds and metal thickness; also if it is made of completely flat metal pieces or 'angle iron' which is bent at a 90 degree angle - angle iron good... flat stock bad...)

Forgive a possible lack of grace in my presentation. I was trying to be short yet thorough yet not lose the goofy edge… that… is… is just me :-D

Thanks for all the replies! Great info from everyone since I'm 100% clueless when it comes to building things in general. I'm just a lady who likes fish :p

As for the stand I just looked a little closer at it and I don't think it's good enough, but I really wouldn't know better either way. A number of you mentioned support's and the stand has none, at all. It's bascially just a metal outline of the tank, with legs, and then another outline (this is the only form of support) at the bottom. If that makes sense. I have no idea what type of metal it is, but if this helps any... it's hollow. When I clink it with my finger nail it makes the hollow sound.

Here's a really crude quickly done pic of it. lol.

stand.gif

So, now that you guys can see it... what do you think?

DannyBoy17 said:
If they sell the stand for a 90g aqaurium, it'll hold a 90g aquarium.

If you want to build your own, do some research first. I would suggest cinder blocks. If you care about the looks, go with 4x4 support, then 2x4's and plywood.

--Dan
cinderblocks,GENIUS. Just take those little velcro curtains around it with the little spread apart middles! you can keep everthing down there and save a crap load!

In the end it will all come down to your gut feeling. If you don't believe it will hold, your not going to use it. If that's the case then reviewing your other options makes sense.

Personally when I mentioned the cross supports it was if you were to build one yourself out of wood. For many years I had a stand that fit the general description/picture you gave but slightly smaller. It held a 55Gal on top and a 50Gal on bottom for quite a few years and through several moves (teenage years... phew). If it is made of angle iron (looks like a flat piece of metal but bent at a 90 degree angle. So if you looked at the end of it, it was 'L' shaped) and welded properly it can be made very strong.

Yet there are also similar stands which are ‘reptile grade’ and are not built to hold the load of water… So I guess it’s back to your gut… :dunno:

You could also fill the tank up slowly and gently ‘test’ the stability of the stand. You should notice unstable movement before any major catastrophes happen… but if something does happened… then I decide you should have bought a new one. :fun:

Howabout using the "grade school rule" like my mom used to call it.

If you think you might get in trouble for it, dont do it.

so if you even QUESTION the stability of it, I would make sure you got a safer one!

If you think you might get in trouble for it, don’t do it.

Well that kinda takes the fun out of things. I like the cliché 'it's easier to get forgiveness than permission' or the Farris Bulher's day off quote..."sometimes ya've got to say, what the f@*%". But I guess we all have our mottos to live by, lol.

Personally I believe there is a very strong chance the stand it strong enough, but without being able to see it, I can't say. I know they do make a 90 Gal tank stand that is strong enough to hold water that also fits her description, but I don't want to talk her (or you when Nyte reads this) into using it and kaboom!

Thanks for the replies.... again :)

The stand I don't think is angled iron. Every part of it is squared but hollow. No angles like mentioned, just hollow square bars. hmmmm

Well thanks for all your input everyone. Gives me lots to think about!

ps. nc_nutcase - I like your sense of humor!

Just remember this simple trick. Each gallon of freshwater weighs about 9 pounds. Times that by 90 and wallah...you have the weight of your filled tank. The only thing I would think to do is put the tank on the metal stand and slowly fill it, listening for sounds of strain. I do however recommend ciderblocks like amazingbioloboydp said. They work well.

water weighs 8.338 at 60 degrees F (15 C) and gets very slightly lighter as it's temperature increase. Not enough to really factor in though. At work we round it to 8.5 lbs per gallon regardless of temperature. Not being picky, just happened to have that random info lying around...

Also... if it is square tubing... then it's basically like two pieces of angle iron together. Now the big question... how thick is it? If it's around 1/8 of an inch there is a strong chance it is strong enough (but I'm still not responsible for oopsies) but if it is more like sheet metal then it's not.

If I questioned it at all I'd go with the idea of filling it slowly, maybe even over the course of a day or two.

Side note... if you do use this or a similar metal frame... put small pieces of wood (equal in thickness) under each of the four legs. This will prevent the legs from making dents in hardwood floors or putting permanent indentions in carpet ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back