How should I stock my 16gal tank to go with my 3 golden barbs?

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hi do you know what your water is like with ph and hardness? Usually a good start. I’d probably suggest more golden barbs but you are going to end up fully stocked quite quickly as gold barbs are quite a big fish for 15 gallons

OP
OP
G

Gikfish

Reaction score
Hi do you know what your water is like with ph and hardness? Usually a good start. I’d probably suggest more golden barbs but you are going to end up fully stocked quite quickly as gold barbs are quite a big fish for 15 gallons
ph is around 7.2 an I dont have an exact number for hardness but generally the water in my area isnt too hard and I use a water conditioner with my water changes every 2 weeks

OP
OP
G

Gikfish

Reaction score
Golden barbs are not an easy starting point. I agree with @Wills you can really only add golden barbs!
As far as I read online they dont seem an easy starting point for me too... When I bought the fish 3 years ago I was told that they were perfect so I got a school of five since I was an absolute beginner then and didnt think of other stocking option. 2 of them died since and I thought I could add something new

itiwhetu

Fish Maniac
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
As far as I read online they dont seem an easy starting point for me too... When I bought the fish 3 years ago I was told that they were perfect so I got a school of five since I was an absolute beginner then and didnt think of other stocking option. 2 of them died since and I thought I could add something new
I will think about it

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Cool so your water sounds good for the barbs I would add more barbs to the tank as They are a schooling fish and at upto three inches a group of 5 or 6 would be the mad for the tank. If you wanted to get more species I think you could do to upgrade your tank.

Most reactions

trending