How should I get rid of my Ramshorn snail eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a 5gallon tank with a Ramshorn and some cherry shrimp. The other day I noticed something that I'm pretty sure are eggs, but are quite small. However, my family and I don't particularly want any baby Ramshorns as I have heard they are quite prolific. How should I encourage the shrimps to eat them and what is an effective way to get rid of Ramshorn eggs?

Attachments

• SnailEggsMarked.jpg
    SnailEggsMarked.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 1,139
The shrimp won't eat the eggs. It's best to remove them manually.

The adults will keep laying eggs, even if you remove that cluster.

The shrimp won't eat the eggs. It's best to remove them manually.

The adults will keep laying eggs, even if you remove that cluster.
Thanks, but how should I get rid of them? Do I scrape off the eggs, or squish them or something?

Thanks, but how should I get rid of them? Do I scrape off the eggs, or squish them or something?
scrape them off, from what I remember when I had them they do peel off quite nicely :) I wouldn't try to squish them, taking them off in one go will be definitely faster

scrape them off, from what I remember when I had them they do peel off quite nicely :) I wouldn't try to squish them, taking them off in one go will be definitely faster
Thanks!

Also, for how long will the single ramshorn keep laying eggs? I read somewhere that they are hermaphrodites, and can and will propagate if alone to bring the population up. Is there a way to keep them from doing this or am I going to have to go egg hunt every time I clean my tank.

Asolene spixi (striped apple snail) is a wellknown snail eggs eater and also a good detritivore ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back