How Often To Vacuum Gravel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eslingerl10

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon tank with one male betta in it and I recently realized that there is a lot of fish waste at the bottom of the tank - on and in the gravel. I read on here and in other places not to vacuum the gravel often but I was wondering if I could get expert opinion on this due to the size of my tank. How often should I completely vacuum the gravel? The last time I vacuumed it was about 2 months ago. I normally just do 70% water changes every day or every other day.

gravel vacuum frequency will depend on the size of tank, stocking level and and how stable nutrient levels in the water stay.  My experience is that Mulm buildup in the substrate of a 5 gallon tank can be very fast.  For a 3 gallon even faster.  So I would think that you should vacuum the gravel every water change. Slow mulm buildup can be helpful for plants.  However too much can cause algae control issues. Some algae can feed on the high organice content of mulm.  

Hi eslingerl,

Personally I vacuum my gravel in live bearer tank (350l) every couple of days. I also have 2 betta tanks, they are both 14 gallons and those I vacuum every week when i carry out the water change. Hope this helps, 

Richard.

I concur with Richard, I vacuum the gravel and or sand with every weekly water change. I have five 10 gallon tanks, one with danios, one with platies and 3 with single male bettas. They differ in amount of sediment removed but I always get a healthy amount of sediment, the removed water being colored from the tanks which before disturbing were crystal clear. I remove 3 gallons per tank per week, a good 30% allowing for substrate, decor and plant volume. The tanks are sponge filtered. I also squeeze out one of the two sponges on each tank's filters every other week in the removed water bucket. Tanks heavily "planted" with a Java Moss, Java Fern and a single Anubias all of who don't actually reside in the substrate, instead clinging to driftwood or having their rhizome above the substrate. Vacuuming sand takes a frustratingly delicate touch, gravel much easier. I use the vacuumed water to water my house plants and garden as free fertilizer.
David

I'll just play devil's advocate and say, I hardly ever touch my substrate. But, I have a fairly heavily planted tank, and have never had an issue with nitrates aside from my overzealous feeding. In most situations, I would advise that you do it weekly at water change like everyone else.

I also never vacuum my heavily planted 18USG betta tank .

DWC said:
I concur with Richard, I vacuum the gravel and or sand with every weekly water change. I have five 10 gallon tanks, one with danios, one with platies and 3 with single male bettas. They differ in amount of sediment removed but I always get a healthy amount of sediment, the removed water being colored from the tanks which before disturbing were crystal clear. I remove 3 gallons per tank per week, a good 30% allowing for substrate, decor and plant volume. The tanks are sponge filtered. I also squeeze out one of the two sponges on each tank's filters every other week in the removed water bucket. Tanks heavily "planted" with a Java Moss, Java Fern and a single Anubias all of who don't actually reside in the substrate, instead clinging to driftwood or having their rhizome above the substrate. Vacuuming sand takes a frustratingly delicate touch, gravel much easier. I use the vacuumed water to water my house plants and garden as free fertilizer.
David

I've heard of using aquarium water to water plants. Sounds like a fantastic idea actually... I saw that Idea in an ad for a jar with plants on top. You keep a fish in the jar which helps the plants grow as they respire and poop. Obviously I would not condone any fish be in a container that size, but the purpose of the container makes a lot of sense.
Thank you guys so much! I've read to never vacuum my gravel, but there's just so much stuff in my water when I move my plants around...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back