How Often Should Water Be Changed And How Much?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elrohirthehasty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How often should water be changed and how much?

once a daily/weekly/biweekly/monthly and 25%/30%/35%/etc.

water changes dont do any harm as long as your not doing too much at a time, all the time.

i do 30% about 3 times a week (just because i enjoy my tank maintnence:) )

water changes dont do any harm as long as your not doing too much at a time, all the time.

i do 30% about 3 times a week (just because i enjoy my tank maintenance:) )
If the tank is mature ... a 100% WC can be done with no ill affects.

Why in the world would you do a 100% water change?

The answer is two part.

1) How fast do your nitrates build up?
2) How much do you like carrying water to the tank?

The main purpose of a water change is to keep nitrates to safe levels. Monitor your water and change it when the nitrates get too high. Eventually you'll figure out how often and large a water change is needed for your tank. So long as the pH and temp of the water you add is close to the water in the tank and its dechlorinated there's no real downside to doing more of a water change than is necessary.

Personally I do a 30% change once a week, but that's way overkill with my small bio-load.

How long is a piece of string?
About that long.

Actually alot of betta keepers need to do 90%+ every few days as alot dont use filters (bettas dont like the flow). Most keepers will do around 25% a week, personly I tend to get lazy and do 20% every 2 weeks. No big deal, depends how much you like fannying about with buckets of water.

2ft tank = 25% waterchange weekly
3ft tanks = 30% waterchange fortnight.
4ft tank = 30% waterchange every 3 weeks.

any above 4ft 30% monthly.

This going by a well established tank thats not overstocked, the bigger the tank, the more consistantly they become and need less maintinance.

Actually alot of betta keepers need to do 90%+ every few days as alot dont use filters (bettas dont like the flow).
True, but that's a specialized instance though. The advice I usually hear for bettas is to do the changes more often and keep them down to 50% at most. And its still not a 100% water change that's going to require moving the fish out of the tank and causing it way more stress than is needed for a simple water change.

I do 30% every two weeks, works for me!

Well given the wealth of information you just dispensed I'd say I was more helpful than you're being.

Giving oversimplified, incorrect information isn`t being helpful. I know what changes I need to carry out inrelation to my tanks circumstances, but this info is unlikely to be of help to the OP.

Perhaps advice should be given in regard to the OP`s circumstances. That might help.

Dave.

in my tank i do 300litres on a sunday and 200 litres on a wednesday night usually :good:
my tanks 566litres,,,,,
my other tank i do a 30% water change a week :good:

as stated what fish are we talking about and how many etc?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back