How often should I be removing fish poop from the bottom of my tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I used to water change and gravel clean my tanks once a week, but every 2 weeks is ok if water is limited or you don't have many fish in the tank.

I recommend doing it at least once a week. I'll occasionally get a smaller tube and siphon out some major spots during the week, but I always do one big clean at the end of the week.

I do a weekly water change but gravel vac every two weeks, but have gone as long as three weeks. Also testing the water weekly. High readings would certainly prompt increased water change percentage and a gravel vac right away. I suppose everybody finds their cleaning rythm thats right for them based on stocking levels, water quality, plants vs no plants.

I have never vacuumed the base of a tank, I believe that the base should remain undisturbed. I rely on the plants and filters to remove all the fish waste. I also never use any Fertilizers in my tanks

I
I have never vacuumed the base of a tank, I believe that the base should remain undisturbed. I rely on the plants and filters to remove all the fish waste. I also never use any Fertilizers in my tanks
I take it your tank is heavily planted ?

I

I take it your tank is heavily planted ?
My tanks all are planted between 30-50% of the volume of the tank. They are also all slightly acidic, meaning I never have a problem with Ammonia. The exception to this is my African Cichlid tanks, but I still plant them.

My tanks all are planted between 30-50% of the volume of the tank. They are also all slightly acidic, meaning I never have a problem with Ammonia. The exception to this is my African Cichlid tanks, but I still plant them.
Then ya you could probably get away with not vacuuming for a longer period but I would still vacuum once in a while

That is fine vacuum if you want to. I am just putting it out there that you don't need to, also by not vacuuming you can save some money on fertilizer.
Yes but if your substrate is light in colour , the poop would stand out and look ugly

These are the challenges that Aquarists have when they move away from what I would call traditional methods of fish keeping.
Sand is needed for corydoras so it’s not like people have a choice(and if it’s not broken don’t fix it)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back