FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really enjoy this page and want to tell you about how these little creatures and having this tank has really helped me out over the months! My mum was diagnosed with cancer 5 months ago, this was devastating to us kids due to how we found out and almost lost her as well as just finding out at the same time. For me it was extra agonising due to suffering with anxiety as well but she fought through being told only 24 hrs to live and it all got fall on from that point. At the time I had 2 beautiful eastern short neck turtles, they were so gorgeous but are very high maintenance and with mum I didn’t have the time to care for them probably with being away unfortunately, so I had to regretfully give them away. Anyways, I decided to clean it up for an aquarium for my kids. It ended up being my little haven, when I was home and after work I was In my little cave decorating and keeping my mind at bay. I kept adding more of the little munchkins in and it became a hobby and I would be in my own little world. Before mum passed after losing her battle a couple weeks ago, I was away for a couple weeks and the babies got a bit neglected, they got feed but maintenance was lacking. But the last few weeks these little guys have been my saviour. They all have such different personalities and if I’m not in my little cave working in the tank, I’ll sit and watch them for ages and smile away. It’s such an amazing little hobby and has been so good for my anxiety as well as my health! Thank you for reading x #F#ckcancer #ilovemylittletank

EC3E5F43-B79F-455F-9DDC-7C3BCCF413A0.jpeg

I am basically homebound due to being on Oxygen 24/7 due to "end stage" COPD. I continue to outlive all their estimates and I attribute that to having pets. My dear pet Parrot is in a sanctuary until I feel well enough to handle him again (ie., lung transplant). My loving but high maintenance Basset Hound just passed away two weeks later my father passed away too. Coming up on two years ago my darling devoted husband died of a freak accident, before that I lost my mother and my favorite aunt. I adopted a so-called senior cat not know how long I have to live and she is a delight of love and cuddles but it was really my aquariums that pulled me out of deep depression. It also forces me to get exercises with all those water changes, plant maintenance, decorating etc. My fish tanks have been so good for me. I'm SO MUCH stronger than I've been in years. And I could spend hours watching fish antics. I put up a post on needing a Fish Behavior Category and added some anecdotes I've observed with my fish - find that post and see what you can add with your observations. My purpose is to show that fish (some more than others) have some fairly complex behaviors and emotions.

I think these stories sound pretty fishy! (<grins> just couldn't resist).
I don't have a similar story to share, but I do find a sortof therapy in watching the fish in my display tank as well as breeding and growing out fish to sell robust fish for others to also enjoy the hobby. I'll confess that I get a bit annoyed on forums where some folks are asking about low/no maintenance tanks. First of all I feel that doing the maintenance to keep these critters healthy and happy is part of the upside - at least I enjoy it as it's part of the accomplishment. Besides, if you can't afford an hour or two a week to maintain an aquarium, you probably shouldn't have any pets at all.
Fish (100's), turtles (3), rabbits (2), and a chocolate lab I just love are not just pets, they're members of my family.

Hi all,

I really enjoy this page and want to tell you about how these little creatures and having this tank has really helped me out over the months! My mum was diagnosed with cancer 5 months ago, this was devastating to us kids due to how we found out and almost lost her as well as just finding out at the same time. For me it was extra agonising due to suffering with anxiety as well but she fought through being told only 24 hrs to live and it all got fall on from that point. At the time I had 2 beautiful eastern short neck turtles, they were so gorgeous but are very high maintenance and with mum I didn’t have the time to care for them probably with being away unfortunately, so I had to regretfully give them away. Anyways, I decided to clean it up for an aquarium for my kids. It ended up being my little haven, when I was home and after work I was In my little cave decorating and keeping my mind at bay. I kept adding more of the little munchkins in and it became a hobby and I would be in my own little world. Before mum passed after losing her battle a couple weeks ago, I was away for a couple weeks and the babies got a bit neglected, they got feed but maintenance was lacking. But the last few weeks these little guys have been my saviour. They all have such different personalities and if I’m not in my little cave working in the tank, I’ll sit and watch them for ages and smile away. It’s such an amazing little hobby and has been so good for my anxiety as well as my health! Thank you for reading x #F#ckcancer #ilovemylittletank

View attachment 95126

I'm really sorry about your mom. I lost my grandmother to cancer so I know how that feels. Fish are definitely therapeutic and very relaxing. Whenever I look into my tanks, I get a smile on my face. Somehow, fish, and animals in general, always seem to know exactly what to do to cheer you up, and I often find it easier to spend time with them when I'm sad or angry. Best of luck in your recovery!

I am basically homebound due to being on Oxygen 24/7 due to "end stage" COPD. I continue to outlive all their estimates and I attribute that to having pets. My dear pet Parrot is in a sanctuary until I feel well enough to handle him again (ie., lung transplant). My loving but high maintenance Basset Hound just passed away two weeks later my father passed away too. Coming up on two years ago my darling devoted husband died of a freak accident, before that I lost my mother and my favorite aunt. I adopted a so-called senior cat not know how long I have to live and she is a delight of love and cuddles but it was really my aquariums that pulled me out of deep depression. It also forces me to get exercises with all those water changes, plant maintenance, decorating etc. My fish tanks have been so good for me. I'm SO MUCH stronger than I've been in years. And I could spend hours watching fish antics. I put up a post on needing a Fish Behavior Category and added some anecdotes I've observed with my fish - find that post and see what you can add with your observations. My purpose is to show that fish (some more than others) have some fairly complex behaviors and emotions.

Oh Jan my condolences, you poor love! Your story is heartbreaking but love the passion and the fact you are still going is so fulfilling. All the pets we have are my babies I just love them all too. We have 6 budgies and Ruby my beautiful pit bull that I treat like my 3rd daughter she’s amazing. We got her in as a rescue after being abused for her 1st year of life as a pup. I do agree that fish have their own little personalities and emotions too. I see it when especially when they see me walk in the room they go crazy and follow my around, the goldfish are to cute with doing it they get so excited. They swim around my arm when I’m playing around in the tank and the little rosy barbs nibble on my arm when it’s in the water. The turtles were the same, they would happy dance on top of the water every time they saw me.

My thoughts are with you, keep strong love. X

I'm really sorry about your mom. I lost my grandmother to cancer so I know how that feels. Fish are definitely therapeutic and very relaxing. Whenever I look into my tanks, I get a smile on my face. Somehow, fish, and animals in general, always seem to know exactly what to do to cheer you up, and I often find it easier to spend time with them when I'm sad or angry. Best of luck in your recovery!

Thank you, it was hard watching such a strong independent woman like my mum lose her battle so quickly. Our animals as well as my fish are so loving and beautiful, definitely know how to cheer you up hey! I would have to agree 100% on helping you feel better with different emotions going on. Thank you for the warm words x

I think these stories sound pretty fishy! (<I don't have a similar story to share, but I do find a sortof therapy in watching the fish in my display tank as well as breeding and growing out fish to sell robust fish for others to also enjoy the hobby. I'll confess that I get a bit annoyed on forums where some folks are asking about low/no maintenance tanks. First of all I feel that doing the maintenance to keep these critters healthy and happy is part of the upside - at least I enjoy it as it's part of the accomplishment. Besides, if you can't afford an hour or two a week to maintain an aquarium, you probably shouldn't have any pets at all.
Fish (100's), turtles (3), rabbits (2), and a chocolate lab I just love are not just pets, they're members of my family.

Your comment was to cute and cheeky. :p
I can muck around and sit and watch the tank for hours. I love getting in and having them swim around my arms so freely with no stress. I agree, if you can’t spend the time to show love and give any animal a safe and clean haven you don’t deserve pets at all. We have 6 budgies all spoiled, my beautiful pit bull who I treat like my 3rd daughter and obviously the tank that I just love to bit too. When we had the turtles, they were so spoiled I was always in cleaning and getting fresh plants etc for them. I was absolutely shattered when I had to give them away. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back